Do you need to add air every week or so? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you need to add air every week or so?

On ALL my Hondas!!!

For some reason, ALL of the Honda's I have owned (F6B, VTX 1800, and Valkyrie) leak down in a week or so-- from 40 to 34-36 just like clockwork. Very strange since other bikes I have owned have never had that problem.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    For some reason, ALL of the Honda's I have owned (F6B, VTX 1800, and Valkyrie) leak down in a week or so-- from 40 to 34-36 just like clockwork. Very strange since other bikes I have owned have never had that problem.
    +1, I have noticed the same pressure changes on all my Honda bikes also. Usually a couple psi every other week or so..I generally check them about once week , and always before a longer ride...Just something to live with I suppose as I have no leaks as far as I know...I think ambient temps have something to do with changes in PSI..

I am not that anal about this normally but the FOBO TPMS warns me (or should I say the whole house) all night long if I am low on air. This seems to happen about once a week. My wife is going to kill me because it gives an alarm every couple of hours and wakes her up. I personally have not been awakened by the alarm. But I can sleep through anything and if I do wake up it takes me seconds to fall back to sleep.

This is a problem because I need to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone to stop the alarm. I am about to change the low warning so this does not happen. Changing the low setting is not a good thing. I would think there should be a way to get my tires to hold air better.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I am not that anal about this normally but the FOBO TPMS warns me (or should I say the whole house) all night long if I am low on air. This seems to happen about once a week. My wife is going to kill me because it gives an alarm every couple of hours and wakes her up. I personally have not been awakened by the alarm. But I can sleep through anything and if I do wake up it takes me seconds to fall back to sleep.

This is a problem because I need to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone to stop the alarm. I am about to change the low warning so this does not happen. Changing the low setting is not a good thing. I would think there should be a way to get my tires to hold air better.

Steve
    You can change the tolerances for the warning.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    You can change the tolerances for the warning.
    Just FYI for other... The Steel Mate TPMS that I have (I know you guys have/are talking about the FOBO though) has a threshold before it starts alarming. 10 psi in either direction of the threshold. I had to set it at 36psi, since my front is 40psi and my rear is 31psi; in order to accommodate both tire ranges. It won't apply individual thresholds to each tire

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just FYI for other... The Steel Mate TPMS that I have (I know you guys have/are talking about the FOBO though) has a threshold before it starts alarming. 10 psi in either direction of the threshold. I had to set it at 36psi, since my front is 40psi and my rear is 31psi; in order to accommodate both tire ranges. It won't apply individual thresholds to each tire
    The FOBO app will let you set them individually.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    The FOBO app will let you set them individually.
    Ya.. I opted for the K-Mart Chinese version

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have had the FOBO for a year now and I know I can set the tolerances anywhere I like. I have just been reluctant since that is the best part of the FOBO TPMS. It lets you know before you get on the bike and I can add air if needed. I thought one I got new tires again and different rims they would maybe hold air better. But they are the same as the other tires rims and valve stems. I think I just need to go ahead and set the tolerance lower so I don't get a warning until I am further off the optimal air pressure. Then I need to force myself to check it more often.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I have the t-valves from FOBO installed and I still have to put air in the tires about once a week.
    Do you need to add air once a week or so? When the bike was new I needed to add air once a week or so also.
    I do a pre trip before every ride. I never have to add air...

I use the FOBO T-Valves with Garmin TPMS caps.

I find that I lose almost exactly 1.0psi per week. I have ALSO found that (at least in terms of the Garmin system...and therefore I presume the others as well, as the systems are pretty much the same throughout the industry) the pressure readout can vary a bit from hour to hour and day to day...indicating that the system doesn't always read EXACTLY the same each and every time. The variance can be as much as 0.6-0.7psi.

When I first installed the system, I chased the pressure a bit...but found, if I had a low reading, that quite often if I let the bike sit and waited a few hours it would read closer to the expected values. This may be due to changes in ambient air temp or perhaps changes in ambient air pressure.

Either way, I eventually DO need to trot out the compressor every 7-10 days to bring it back up to running pressures. This has annoyed me as well, as all of my past bikes (eleven in total..ranging from Yamaha's to Triumphs to Matchless to Katanas ) all have held pressures for several months or more.

Speaking of alarms. The Garmin system doesn't ping your phone, but can be set to any threshold you choose and will alarm on your GPS unit.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---