F6B service recommendations - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F6B service recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    If you guys are fighting the oil filter wrench problem go to your local marina that deals with Evinrude and get the 4-stroke oil filter wrench. This thing is awesome and will fit even the tiniest of filters, the tighter the filter the harder this thing grabs it, works with 3/8 drive ratchet or 3/4 box wrench.
    So what's wrong with pounding a screwdriver through the filter with a hammer? Doesn't anyone do that anymore?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    So what's wrong with pounding a screwdriver through the filter with a hammer? Doesn't anyone do that anymore?

Yep been there...done that

Even had to go this route once too.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post

Now that there shows how a GOOD male mind works. ROTFLMAO!!!

Slightly unrelated, but...

Here's my best tool story:

About ten years ago, my father accused me of not returning a pair of his Vise Grips. I didn't remember taking them, and I even searched my garage multiple times looking for a set that did not belong to me. All mine were accounted for. Never found any others.

About four years ago, I was doing some maintenance under my snowmobile trailer. Here is what I found:

Attachment 24314

After my shock had passed, my memory returned me to the day I was trying to free up the nut on this bolt that was underneath the trailer, and was used for the mechanism in the trailer that secures the skis to the bed while in transit. I had used his Vise-Grips to do this.

This tool stayed locked in place for over six years, blasted with salt, sand, water, frozen, rutted roads of ice and snow...even a trip to Canada and back. After a dousing of PB Blaster, I squeezed the release lever, and off it came. Still worked as well as it did the day I used it originally...just a little more flaky.

I did finally return my father's Vise-Grips....he was less than appreciative.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Bunch of caveman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Here's my best tool story:

About ten years ago, my father accused me of not returning a pair of his Vise Grips. I didn't remember taking them, and I even searched my garage multiple times looking for a set that did not belong to me. All mine were accounted for. Never found any others.

About four years ago, I was doing some maintenance under my snowmobile trailer. Here is what I found:

Attachment 24314

After my shock had passed, my memory returned me to the day I was trying to free up the nut on this bolt that was underneath the trailer, and was used for the mechanism in the trailer that secures the skis to the bed while in transit. I had used his Vise-Grips to do this.

This tool stayed locked in place for over six years, blasted with salt, sand, water, frozen, rutted roads of ice and snow...even a trip to Canada and back. After a dousing of PB Blaster, I squeezed the release lever, and off it came. Still worked as well as it did the day I used it originally...just a little more flaky.

I did finally return my father's Vise-Grips....he was less than appreciative.
    You may appreciate this remedy for your Dad's Vise Grips! Take the grips and immerse them in White Vinegar for a week or so! A clear plastic Tupper Ware Bowel makes the job easy. After several days of soaking you'll notice rust flakes on the bottom of the bowl which indicated the Vinegar is doing its job. Once you're convinced the grips are free of rust ( they'll turn pitch blade and remove any remaining chrome plate ) using rubber gloves, remove them from the bowl and dry them with compressed air. Give the a immediate coat of Rust-o-leum Satin Clear and your Dad will have a nice Black Anodized pair of Vise Grips. Believe me! This is a cure/fix for any rusted tools/hardware

Had to Go Even Further

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post

Back in the 1970s a friend bought an early Datsun 240Z. He came over to my place (a rental duplex with half of a two-car garage!) to change the oil. It looked simple as there was plenty of room to work around that inline 6, and the filter was just hanging off the side. The filter wrench wouldn't budge it. The hammer and screwdriver didn't either. We tried about every trick we knew, but the filter simply did not move. Finally, we ripped the entire filter apart, leaving only the baseplate attached to the engine. I had to take a chisel and whack on the holes in the baseplate to get it to turn. That was far and away the tightest filter I've ever had to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Back in the 1970s a friend bought an early Datsun 240Z. He came over to my place (a rental duplex with half of a two-car garage!) to change the oil. It looked simple as there was plenty of room to work around that inline 6, and the filter was just hanging off the side. The filter wrench wouldn't budge it. The hammer and screwdriver didn't either. We tried about every trick we knew, but the filter simply did not move. Finally, we ripped the entire filter apart, leaving only the baseplate attached to the engine. I had to take a chisel and whack on the holes in the baseplate to get it to turn. That was far and away the tightest filter I've ever had to remove.
    My father owned a gas station....many a filter we had to chisel off at the base.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

some do,some don't,,kennyU

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for a reputable place in northern NJ to get the F6B serviced. I could pick a local Honda dealer, but I would also consider other places if others have had positive experiences. Would appreciate any thoughts - thanks.
    I change the REAR-END Fluid every OTHER time I change the oil,,It is cheap compared to the cost of replacing the rear-end, and you never know WHEN it is going-Out, UNTILL It goes-out,,KennyU

That was easy...

Engine oil and filter changed, 100 miles later and no problems. I used all Honda parts and drain bolt and filter were torqued to spec.

Next up, the final drive oil...