Quote Originally Posted by Flhfxd View Post
Excellent info folks and very much appreciated. As mentioned, I'm searching for something..."different". I've never ridden that flat 6 but I know a little better now what to expect. I think it's time to visit a showroom and check out ergonomics, storage, etc..
Thanks again.
One thing about this bike that is the proverbial 800-lb gorilla in the room...and its a good thing...it is a very simple motorcycle. The motor is a SOHC two-valve per cylinder basic design with port fuel injection. The rest of the bike is a Gold Wing, which in its current form, is an 18 year old platform. The bugs have lonnnggggg been worked out of it. It is very, very reliable. Go ahead and try to find a thread about mechanical failures or breakdowns on this forum...they are few and far between.

They are very easy to do maintenance on, too. Oil/filter changes are a piece of cake, and the removing the rear tire is simple as well. The air cleaner...that's a different matter...but you won't have to do that often.

Honda outboards and generators are the same way. The get the design correct, keep it simple, and keep running them down the assembly line the same way for decades. My 2001 Honda 30 hp outboard is exactly the same motor today as it was then, minus a decal update.