Staying cool in the summer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying cool in the summer

VESKIMO

For cold weather there is heated gear. For hot weaher there is Veskimo: http://www.veskimo.com/personal-cool...em-9quart.html
    Fill cooler with ice and 12 volt pump circulates cold water through tubing in vest. It works. Just need to add ice every 100 miles. I just wish they made it with a helmet liner!!!

Staying cool in the summer

One point on the cool vests. they don't work well under mesh riding gear, too much air gets to them and drys them out very quickly. I wear my cool vest under a Gore Tex jacket with the front vents closed. The less air that gets to the vest the longer it cools. Ixol Phaane is a friend but I disagree with him about helmets in the heat. A full Face or modular helmet will be cooler in the heat because it keeps the sun and hot air off of your head. i do agree with Ixol about hydration you absolutely need drink a lot of liquids. One final little trick is to carry a bottle of water with a hole punched in the cap. When your vest starts drying out, turn the bottle up, poke it under the collar of your jacket and give it a couple of good squeezes. You will be surprised how well this recharges your cool vest.

Good luck adapting to the heat. Some people deal with it better than others but nobody enjoys 100 plus temperatures. David Hough made a point in one of his books that any time the temp goes above the low nineties you want to expose as little skin as possible when you are riding. Just as a cool wind will lower your body temperature a hot wind will raise your body temperature.

Anybody else ever use a "Chilly Frog"? They help a bit. Also use some Duluth Trading Armachillo and Buck Naked underwear as well as the Cycle Gear Heat Out that I really like.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here is my secret to comfortable riding in hot weather that I have found when them tems hit triple digits, it is the only way I can get really cool while riding.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/