Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
Maybe it's more congested here, because I'm sure I have 3-4 per season, plus many more that I see coming and can prepare for.
Riding instructors say that, with a good road strategy, you should see a vast majority of close calls before being in the midst of dealing with one.

I agree with this. I had a post of few weeks ago about eliminating uncontrolled left turns in my commute to work and home (stopping and waiting to turn with oncoming traffic and traffic coming behind you, without the aid of a light or stop sign). Those are top hot spots that are dripping with close call potential. Also, there's a couple of 90 degree turns in my commute to work that I used to try to challenge myself to take at 50 mph ... which is right at the edge of dragging a peg ... but those curves have terrible sight lines in both directions, which means I am going blind into a hard curve at 45-50 mph, in a moderate lean. Not good. I no longer take those curves at that speed and save it for curves that I can see through.

In fact, right after I made the decision to cool it in those curves, I came around one of them and saw a dead deer just 50 feet beyond the curve. Good reminder.