Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

Thread: Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This thread has been a refreshing read, thanks STRaider for starting it.

I've always enjoyed my alone time regardless of what I'm doing, but even more so when on the bike. Unfortunately I'm not often out riding without at least 1 other bike. I've taken lots of high mileage trips but its always been in a group of 4+ other motorcycles. When talking with my riding buddies about the upcoming trip out to Colorado, they think I'm nuts for going solo; "You'll have no one to talk with at stops", "That'll be lonely", etc. To which the only thing I say is, "That's kind of the point. And why I'm so looking forward to it." I almost always experience some sort of euphoric moment, a revelation, or change in perspective, big or small, when out on a ride, even more so when it's a long trip. And on this trip when I make a pit stop, there'll be no one to take me out of that moment.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments in this thread, I was beginning to let my friends/coworkers comments second guess myself that my excitement is misplaced. Now I know my feelings and excitement of being solo is not unique. So here's to the peace and solitude of traveling solo while looking forward to the camaraderie and socialization that comes with meeting like-minded individuals. See ya in Cortez!

I also have enjoyed all the responses on this thread. I do most of my rides solo but I also like riding with small groups occasionally. One of the things i really like about riding alone is you are more approachable when you stop. People usually have less hesitation about approaching a lone rider and starting a conversation than they do approaching a group. When I stop for gas and a break it is not uncommon for total strangers to walk up and ask about the bike and the ride. The further you get from home the more approachable you become. Last summer on a ride to the east coast and New England the first question asked was usually "Did you ride that thing all the way from Arizona?" and then the conversation would progress other topics. Most people also would express the desire to be able to take a long trip then tell me why the were unable to. You meet some very interesting people when you travel alone.

I enjoy groups but I ride to see and learn about our great country and riding alone is part of the learning experience.
    Az Wingrider