Need Help planning a trip

Thread: Need Help planning a trip

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    I'm planning a trip late spring thru South Dakota and to Yellowstone. I will be pulling my Aspen camper and would like to hear from anyone who has camped at Yellowstone as to the camp sites and do I need to make reservations. I also would like to know when the roads are most likely to be free of snow and ice, hoping to beat the summer crowd. Any information related to roads, attractions or camping spots would be appreciated. Thanks, Gordon
    Note:
    Check to see if the campground you want allows soft sided trailers, if your trailer is soft sided.
    Heavy park road construction (read soft gravel) may be in progress when you go, so inquire when and and what road sections are affected before you leave.
    In our experience park sites are booked early early early BUT if you decide to travel standby it doesn't hurt to ask if there are cancellations on the day you arrive. We snagged a few days at Fishing Bridge this way. Base camp at Cody is not a terrible option and drive the 100 miles or so return to the park entrance each day you visit.
    YNP is almost 3500 square miles. Distances between viewpoints can be anywhere from 40 miles to 75+ miles so when you're ready to see the sights leave early in the day and plan a lot of driving each day in the park.

Gordon I can't suggest one attraction over any other. YNP's designation as a super volcano makes the entire park a must see, and see it as soon as possible. The wife and I are going back as soon as we can get the time together.

Happy and safe travels.

Yellowstone Park Map PDF
    Last edited by unsub; 01-29-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added comment
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!