To baby it or no worries
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To baby it or no worries

To baby it or no worries

Talking to some Wing Riders the other day and one asked what my shift light was on my dash. Why do I need that they asked. To avoid hitting the rev limiter is why if I'm pushing hard. One Guy said that was no danger for Him as He seldom gets over 4500 RPM and the other said He had never hit the limiter. I did a lot before installing the light. I've always considered the rice burners I've had to be pretty much bullet proof and always last longer than the bike itself does or at least my satisfaction with them. So am I bordering on abuse running hard sometimes or are they just too careful? I guess they want it to last a couple hundred thousand miles and I have no need for that myself.

Sounds like abuse to me. I ride fast a lot, but don't see a need to thrash the bike. Payed too much and enjoy it too much to try and wear it out in that manner. To each his own, as they say.

Those wing riders are a Bunch of senior citizens. Run it as hard as you like! Just make sure you maintain it.

I guess I'll revert to what I told fellow pilots about the CH-53E helicopter:
    Yes, it can lift 28,000 pounds.
    Yes, it can fly 150 kias with that load.
    But, if it does it every day, all day, the components are not going to last as long.
    Abuse? No, it was designed for it, but not for continuous service.
    Baby it? No, it wasn't designed for that either.

To the matter at hand:
    The F6B was designed as a sport-touring sort of bike.
    She should be used and exercised as such.
    We can all sprint certain distances, but we all can't do it all day.

Treat her like the lady she is.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Talking to some Wing Riders the other day and one asked what my shift light was on my dash. Why do I need that they asked. To avoid hitting the rev limiter is why if I'm pushing hard. One Guy said that was no danger for Him as He seldom gets over 4500 RPM and the other said He had never hit the limiter. I did a lot before installing the light. I've always considered the rice burners I've had to be pretty much bullet proof and always last longer than the bike itself does or at least my satisfaction with them. So am I bordering on abuse running hard sometimes or are they just too careful? I guess they want it to last a couple hundred thousand miles and I have no need for that myself.
    If you “ride it like you stole it”, sooner or later it may catch up to you or the bike. We all have our unique ways of enjoying (or escaping with our bike), and i guess there is no wrong way as long as no one gets hurt, or arrested. I remember a friend of mine once tell me, “if your gonna ride balls out, keep it above 70 so you don’t end up a cripple”.

Ride safe, and watch out for those loonies on their cell phones or texting while driving.

Is there any harm to bouncing it off the rev limiter? I mean other than the wear that comes from that level of RPM?

Run it as hard as you want. Just dont come back here saying your motorcycle is junk, and honda sucks, and its only built for old people, when you eventually wear it out and it start breaking down on ya.

I hit the rev limiter in first gear mostly. Cant get my foot to the shifter fast enough.
    The 6k range isn't too bad on the motor. I think when you have the ECU reprogramed they can raise the limit to 7k.
    I don't know why the rev limit is so low.
    Has to do with the bore and stroke size I guess. There is a formula to figure the max RPM.
    Ive had my fun on smaller bikes built for it. The golden years are for the arm chair Worriers.
    I just recline and "B" happy I survived it all.
    I love watching the young uns do it.
    Hope it don't leave a scar
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Heatnbeat View Post
    Is there any harm to bouncing it off the rev limiter? I mean other than the wear that comes from that level of RPM?
    No, the engineers designed it to run at those RPM’s and they test engines to failure so there is a built in fudge factor. The only issue I see is friction is cumulative, so the engine will wear faster. So maybe a rebuild at 180,000 instead of 200,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Fourks View Post
    No, the engineers designed it to run at those RPM’s and they test engines to failure so there is a built in fudge factor. The only issue I see is friction is cumulative, so the engine will wear faster. So maybe a rebuild at 180,000 instead of 200,000?
    I like this answer the best.