Deadhorse to Deadhorse - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadhorse to Deadhorse

I'm sure you will be prepared and expect more than a couple of detours all part of the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickc View Post
    I'm sure you will be prepared and expect more than a couple of detours all part of the adventure.
    Definitely, looks pretty solid up to Yukon, thats where it looks like the adventure begins but I'm ready to be uncomfortable.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Bought the Zumo XT for the ride, looks like a winner, we'll see.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vG4J4WPqX...dZuNNWjlKwLgh1

Easy ride, so far, UNTIL, I-39 North shut down, both ways, 80 miles out of Wisconsin Dells, where I am now due to motorcycle fatality. Other than that, a little rain but nothing to complain about...yet. Off to North Dakota.

Long, long story but was almost half way to Alaska, was just in Canada and due to road conditions, the approaching storm and a side wind that I never experienced I had to turn back. According to the locals, where I stopped in Portal,, NDI launched a month too early. They said the wind dies down end of June beginning of July. US52, which takes you from Jamestown ND, to Portal, then across to North Portal, Saskatchewan and becomes I-39 was a nightmare with that wind. It is a 2 lane, bi-directional highway, if you can call it that. Being ND is flat, with northern ND even flatter the roadway is built up, like a railroad track 6-8 feet in the air with very little shoulder. It is the only paved road,no alternates. All roads leading up to it are dirt which translates to mud if it rains. Steady 25-35 mph wind as soon as I was in Wisconsin to ND with gusts of who knows. Settled in Jamestown ND to head to Saskatoon the next day. I even made a video on my YouTube page.

National Weather Service put a warning for the wind, which I was unaware of. It was a battle from the moment I left Jamestown, crossing the border I hit North Portal and had to make a decision. The wind was either sending me into oncoming or off the I-39 into a ditch 6-8 feet down AND there was a storm that filled the sky with 400 miles to go. I wasnt about to go on a suicide mission. Turned around, headed to Minot, ND. Next day I hit Lead SD in a cabin right on a creek, perfect weather not a cloud in the sky. Grand Junction Co., Vegas, where it was 109 degrees, Hoover Dam, Monument Valley, Flagstaff AZ, perfect.I was going to stay in Rawlins, Wyoming for a few days but on Tuesday this week they said the winds would be 55+ mph so I decided to get as far east as possible, Kearney, Nebraska was a good stop. So I left Monday for Kearney, a little wind but not horrible. 20 miles out from Kearney I came to a construction zone, slowed to 55 mph. The westbound lane of I-80 was completely shut down so all traffic was funneled to the eastbound side. 2 lanes, again, bi-directional, 1 each way. All of a sudden something appeared in the middle of the road from underneath the car in front, which looked like a square patch of tar, it wasn't.

All of a sudden BOOM, the front of the bike lifted and veered to the left, oncoming traffic, kept it up, didn't go down, maintained balance and pulled it back in lane. Rode about a mile or 2 and it felt okay. All of a sudden the front wobbled and zi pulled over. Whatever road construction left in the road bent the rim on both side, the air came out and flattened the tire. Called 911, trooper came and helped me push it onto grass next to tiny shoulder. Still in 2 lane traffic I backed up traffic for 2 mile. I have been in Kearny, Neb since Monday waiting for the $1200 rim and $300 tire to come in, hopefully today. Nothing moves fast here. Lots of cornfields. Kearney is a nice town, I'm filing for residency today and seeing if Motel 6 will sell me a timeshare.

This brings me to my main point. Between the totaling of my 2013 F6B in 2018, the ND wind sheer and now this, which could have been a fatality real easy if it wasn't for adrenaline and experience, I think I have reached the maximum of my guardian angel's patience. When I get back the B will be up for sale. It is loaded. Russell Day Long, Heli-Bars, Torq-Loopz, Baggershoeld, MRA XCREEN, Mp3 rack. Brand new Baker Leg Wings and older Air Wings, Darksided with a Kumho. $13,000 firm, brand new front rim and tire
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taxfree4; Today at 10:10 AM.

Some pics from the good side

Kanab, Utah Monticello, Utah