I can't take it anymore, this beast is getting painted! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't take it anymore, this beast is getting painted!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    you may find the attached very interesting

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0LEV...-of-soft-paint
    Careful now! You're going to offend some folks with information like that!

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Bob View Post
    I dunno why no one has suggested this yet, but why not a wrap instead of paint? It's durable, available in lots of different finishes that you can't get from paint (carbon fiber, etc if you're into that kind of thing), and cheap. Plus you can go a different route later...

Personally, I don't even wash mine until the dirt starts staining my pants...
    I have had several estimates on getting it wrapped. Most installers said with all the curves and bends you would be much better off with paint. I know someone had theirs wrapped on this forum and it looked good but wrap does not cover all the areas and the original color would show in some spaces. Also the wrap would not match the flat black already on the bike so it would have a 2 tone affect. I did my homework on the pros and cons of paint vs. wrap and for me the paint is the way to go.

I dunno why no one has suggested this yet, but why not a wrap instead of paint? It's durable, available in lots of different finishes that you can't get from paint (carbon fiber, etc if you're into that kind of thing), and cheap. Plus you can go a different route later...

Personally, I don't even wash mine until the dirt starts staining my pants...
    Someone on here already posted a wrapped bike... if I recall, there's wasn't cheap. Cheaper than paint, but not cheap.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Huh. I have a friend who works for a place that does wraps, mostly buses and vans, etc. He said he'd do a snowmobile for $450.. seemed like a decent price to me, and kinda comparable to the F6B, both in terms of square footage and complexity. But maybe I'm out of touch with the "real" price....

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I've had quotes from $800-$1750 depending on which shop I talked too. The guy on here that had it done last year paid $500 from what he said, that must have been a friend price because that is dirt cheap! To get the wrap perfect would be an all day affair (8-10 hrs) and like I said before not all the areas would be wrapped. The wrap is also cut on the bike so if you don't get someone that is willing to take their time and go slow then you will have cut marks in your paint. If I could find someone to wrap it correctly for $500 then I would settle for that and be done with it. Paint is costing me more than 3 times that but I know in the end the result will be perfect. To each thy own.....

Huh. I have a friend who works for a place that does wraps, mostly buses and vans, etc. He said he'd do a snowmobile for $450.. seemed like a decent price to me, and kinda comparable to the F6B, both in terms of square footage and complexity. But maybe I'm out of touch with the "real" price....
    That would be a good price $450 but most people I contacted it was $1000 to $1500
    Ride it like you stole it

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    That would be a good price $450 but most people I contacted it was $1000 to $1500
    Same in Phoenix. If I could get it done for $500 I would have already done it.

I guess after reading some of these posts about the paint issues a few have, I am really glad, although my wallet isn't, that my wife and I did not really care for the colors available when I purchased mine..As a result we had it painted by the dealer a Brandywine Red Clearcoat and it looks great so far....Costly, but well worth the money for me as I plan to keep this bike for quite a while....Sorry to hear of those with paint issues as this is, otherwise, one super ride and I wish spring would come!!

Thumbs up Getting Mine Done Too

Just in the process of getting a quote for having my bike resprayed. The Trike Shop are making a complaint to the local Honda dealer with comments from the painter about the paint problems. They told me when the bike gets cold the paint goes all grey an fuzzy! As it's cold up here most of the time I don't want to have that issue either! So it's a new paint job, and goodbye to Honda's crap paint.
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B Blues View Post
    Just in the process of getting a quote for having my bike resprayed. The Trike Shop are making a complaint to the local Honda dealer with comments from the painter about the paint problems. They told me when the bike gets cold the paint goes all grey an fuzzy! As it's cold up here most of the time I don't want to have that issue either! So it's a new paint job, and goodbye to Honda's crap paint.
    Never seen one "grey and fuzzy" would they be willing to get you a pic?
    I worked closely with a very experienced painter when I repainted mine, he made several comments about how poor the paint was when I showed him what I had to start working with. We don't really know Hondas process, or the version of water based paint they used, ie: one part, two part, which catalyst, type of curing, and so on and so on. There are even water based paints like printing ink that are being developed that are UV light cured. Regardless there appears to be no clear coat at all. One concern I have is that the paint may very well start to fade or discolor in extreme temps. My bike is in a garage most of the time but paint fade on a bike that is exposed to sun quite a lot may very well have another issue that we have not seen yet. Hopefully not the case but red would start to dull into a pinkish direction and the black would start to grey very slowly primarily on the top most heated surfaces. Painting plastics is not the easiest thing to do. Use the wrong product and you can have adhesion issues, spider webbing, and cracking over time, and paint that simply wont last or hold up to normal use. Repainting is not something that should be done by someone that has not got a lot of experience, or the facilities to do the job properly. Prices are all over the map in wrapping, hydro dipping, and painting. All of which work. IMHO if you plan to keep the bike for a very long time and the paint bothers you then deal with it, if not I wouldn't go to the trouble or expense of fixing it. All a personal decision. Some may just simply want a bike that is different that the stock colors so it stands out.
    There are people that know a hell of a lot more than I do about what works and what does not work. I would suggest everyone do their homework and make your choices. I would hate for someone to pay good money and get a job done that is not what they wanted.
    Ride safe.
    JK