Am I obsessing over the quality of the paint? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I obsessing over the quality of the paint?

Wow, how many times is Opas gonna write the same stupid shit? If you have to say your not trying to be a jerk, you are!!!![/QUOTE]

Really no need for this kind of stuff.Man has the right to his opionion.If you don't like what he has to say just disregard his comments.As far as my thoughts on the paint my black sucks.If I want to keep it nice I have to always take the polish to it.Everyone has there on feelings on what they expect from a 20K bike and mine are this is the worst paint job on anything I have every owned.Plus Honda is and I feel won't do a thing about it.If I had to do it over I would check out the custom paint ones from Russelville-Seems most people who have bought those have been pretty happy.Mine will be in a paint booth in a year or two.

@stepbill

I'd buy another all over again paint complaints or not.

My take is this: Poor paint quality on a metal surface would cause me great concern, simply because that can lead to other issues with the metal, like oxidization. On plastic it's only esthetic and easily fixed if so desired. The structural integrity and the performance of the bike is in no way compromised. These bikes are engineered and built extremely well.

edit to add: I would point you to a high end European brand name with a spinning propeller logo. Ask the rider on one of those bikes when his signals seize up, his ignition controller fails, or or heater switches fail over and over again and they're spending a chunk of riding season in the shop trying to get the reluctant dealer to cooperate on warranty repair. That rider would trade for a simple paint issue any day.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    edit to add: I would point you to a high end European brand name with a spinning propeller logo. Ask the rider on one of those bikes when his signals seize up, his ignition controller fails, or or heater switches fail over and over again and they're spending a chunk of riding season in the shop trying to get the reluctant dealer to cooperate on warranty repair. That rider would trade for a simple paint issue any day.
    Or worse yet...on that same spinning propeller logo brand...is when your final drive unit fails on you....5 miles before the start hotel for the IronButt Rally, or.....5 miles "after" the start of the IronButt Rally. Prepared for 2 years in advance to ride an 11 day...11,000 mile Rally, and the final drive blows up within 5 miles of the hotel. Didn't hapen to me, but I know of a few riders this has happened to.

Mechanically, there is NO better made motorcycle than a GL-1800 platform bike. Bad paint or not, it is still the best made motorcycle out there.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Mechanically, there is NO better made motorcycle than a GL-1800 platform bike. Bad paint or not, it is still the best made motorcycle out there.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Yep! My thoughts exactly.

Can hardly wait for some warm weather.

Cool Honda Want To See It!

Guys I just wanted to up date you on the paint issue I have. The painter took pictures and gave a statement to the local Honda dealer where I bought my bike. He said that the paintwork on my black F6B is terrible and under certain light a clear ripple effect can be seen in the paint. Honda UK have instructed the dealer to recall the bike and inspect it. It's going back there tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B Blues View Post
    Guys I just wanted to up date you on the paint issue I have. The painter took pictures and gave a statement to the local Honda dealer where I bought my bike. He said that the paintwork on my black F6B is terrible and under certain light a clear ripple effect can be seen in the paint. Honda UK have instructed the dealer to recall the bike and inspect it. It's going back there tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Very interested to see what Honda UK will do for you as good old Honda USA is doing nothing for us.I went back to my dealer 4 times and was on the phone with Honda corperate 4 times and the only advise or solution they had was to use there recomended polish-In other words "GO AWAY DUDE WE ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY!".

Cool Might do the same..

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Very interested to see what Honda UK will do for you as good old Honda USA is doing nothing for us.I went back to my dealer 4 times and was on the phone with Honda corperate 4 times and the only advise or solution they had was to use there recomended polish-In other words "GO AWAY DUDE WE ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY!".
    Honda UK might do the same, but as far as I know Honda only allowed 40 bikes into the UK. Maybe this limited number will work in my favour, fix the few that are here, and hope they keep quiet!
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

I don't understand the paint issue. In the past I owned a ST1300 with the same type of plastic bodywork. I never waxed it. Honda sells a a spray wax cleaner and I've been using it for years. Cleans the plastic panels to a shine with no paint rubbing off.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I don't understand the paint issue. In the past I owned a ST1300 with the same type of plastic bodywork. I never waxed it. Honda sells a a spray wax cleaner and I've been using it for years. Cleans the plastic panels to a shine with no paint rubbing off.
    Frank, the paint on these Black F6Bs is different than the Black paint on the ST1300s. BUT...I suspect that "IF" Honda does come out with a 2014 version of the ST1300, since they seem to like to skip a year on odd numbered years...the new ST will probably have ther newer version of the Japanese plant paint on it.