Does Anyone Have Front Wheel Wobble? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Have Front Wheel Wobble?

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Hmm...23 years ago. IF it was a know issue then, I'm sure that either a fix has been engineered in. Otherwise if even just 1% of all units sold had the issue there would be 1000's of documented cases over the last 23 years, exposing an unacceptable risk to Honda.
    The owner of the dealership that contacted Honda on my behalf 23 years ago still owns the dealership today and can back me up. You doubting me?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRob View Post
    I read somewhere that the front end fork brace can cause problems if not installed correctly. I know you guys know what your doing I was just thinking about a thread I read about install procedures including loostening front wheel and bouncing etc... They said the brace can actually put it in a bind. So here's the question, If you do not have wobble, should you install the brace?
    Improper installation of a fork brace can cause fork binding but should not be associated with wobble. So, whether or not you have wobble should have nothing to do with installing the brace.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    The owner of the dealership that contacted Honda on my behalf 23 years ago still owns the dealership today and can back me up. You doubting me?
    Can't speak for unsub, but I'm not doubting ya.

I think the 'fixes' are varied, and no one item is the 'silver bullet'

And if it only occurs with no hands on the bars,,, well,,, Like Honda says,,,

I don't have the wobble,,,, at least not yet.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Improper installation of a fork brace can cause fork binding but should not be associated with wobble. So, whether or not you have wobble should have nothing to do with installing the brace.
    All true. Just adding a brace will not immediately cause wobble, but I wonder if, over time, if installed incorrectly and it binds hard enough/long enough to wear your guides out,,,, and those loose guides, along with a myriad of other small issues, ~indirectly promote~ wobble? (One would thing the seals would be spittin oil before it got THAT bad )

IMHO, I think a properly installed brace may be helpful w/wobble, BUT, I have no proof to back that up or would I consider it a 'fix-all' for all cases of wobble.

IMHO, most likely , a 'perfect storm' of factors all align at once to result in wobble.

Dickie,,, try relocatin all yer pistols,,, ya might just have too much lead on one side!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    All true. Just adding a brace will not immediately cause wobble, but I wonder if, over time, if installed incorrectly and it binds hard enough/long enough to wear your guides out,,,, and those loose guides, along with a myriad of other small issues, ~indirectly promote~ wobble?
    I think there can be some legitimate issues that originate from self installed 3rd party accessories. Not saying this is the case here, but in general.

There is a boat load of add-ons for these machines that must confound the hell out of Honda Engineers when they have to trouble shoot customer issues. I for one don't like to tamper with the stock Honda machine in this way. I have complete confidence in the bike as it's sold. Especially a model that has been through so much refinement over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    No, I'm not doubting Honda stated that you're not supposed to take your hands off the bars. I regret that my response led you to believe otherwise.

Safe & Happy riding..in that order.

Google Honda Gold Wing wobble, this issue has been around as long as Gold Wings

I know that many have suggested various "fixes" for this long standing GW issue, but the one that works 99% of the time is keep your hands on the bars where they are supposed to go....Letting go of the bars at any speed is just asking for something to happen...If one must rest a hand on the road, rest it quickly at speeds that are steady and not on decele.....Worked for me. Honda claims this is not a big deal and most GW riders I know live with it......

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I know that many have suggested various "fixes" for this long standing GW issue, but the one that works 99% of the time is keep your hands on the bars where they are supposed to go....Letting go of the bars at any speed is just asking for something to happen...If one must rest a hand on the road, rest it quickly at speeds that are steady and not on decele.....Worked for me. Honda claims this is not a big deal and most GW riders I know live with it......
    You should not have to live with it on a Quality Machine such as The F6B or the GL1800. Mother Honda should step up to the plate and fix this problem that I'm sure they are aware at this point.

As far as ridding without hands goes. Well how I ride isn't anyone's business or Honda's.You ride the way you do as I will. Nor is it anyone's place to tell me how to ride.......................Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    All true. Just adding a brace will not immediately cause wobble, but I wonder if, over time, if installed incorrectly and it binds hard enough/long enough to wear your guides out,,,, and those loose guides, along with a myriad of other small issues, ~indirectly promote~ wobble? (One would thing the seals would be spittin oil before it got THAT bad )

IMHO, I think a properly installed brace may be helpful w/wobble, BUT, I have no proof to back that up or would I consider it a 'fix-all' for all cases of wobble.

IMHO, most likely , a 'perfect storm' of factors all align at once to result in wobble.

Dickie,,, try relocatin all yer pistols,,, ya might just have too much lead on one side!!!!
    Had the wobble before the brace. And have it the same amount after the brace. LOL Got it with or without the Guns. Though I feel naked without them.........................Dickie