Fuel mileage after 10K - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel mileage after 10K

Milelage

Must be that dry AZ air.... my Deluxe with 500 miles has been running 42 mpg solo, just did a 250 mile windy ride with the lovely missus and we averaged 38.9... in the twisties with a nasty cross wind on the return leg...

Boltar
    Now Riding the Vader/Batmobile Thundersled O' Destiny....

The warmer air is less dense and in the summer they change the gas formulae which seems to yield better mileage. My test bed is a Prius C, at night my mileage goes down about 7 mpg and same during winter and during rain slicked roads. Of course there are other factors, cold batteries and tires, etc. But the car is very sensitive to variations in driving conditions, so maybe the same factors are affecting the bikes? The Honda puts out about 20 hp more than my car, but the car will see up to 59mpg in some conditions. It evens out, the money saved on gas in the hybrid goes to the money I waste riding like a mad Englishmen on the bike(done with my aside, now back to the thread).
    ss^,
    Ken

At 13000.
    I put midgrade in by mistake at a strange pump in murphy nc and rode several twisties and over to chattanoga and got 46 with two up. Have been getting around 42-44

I have been getting 38-40 mpg and bike is still fairly new....

I have a tad bit over 10k on the clock, I get an average of 40mpg.

Too busy riding to do the math, shame they don't come a MPG calculator like my ST used to

There's gotta be something wrong, but on my trip to Denver, I filled up to the neck in Salida UT. When I got to Fruita CO 202 miles later, I could only put 3.5 in the tank!

That comes out to 57.71!!!

I had a crosswind. When my gage went down to the last white tick mark (long before the Colorado boarder crossing), I got nervous, slowed down to 70 and laid into the tank like a sportbike. I expected to be putting much more into the tank.

Maybe it's because I'm a lot smaller and lighter than you guys (?)
    My bike is sporting a Cee Baileys 13" with a vent, and a Corbin Smuggler trunk.

I paid dearly on the way back; I had a headwind. When I pulled into Salida I was almost to the red zone, but no warning yet.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Just rolled over 10k yesterday and have averaged lifetime 36.something, I don't expect to see a change but I wouldn't mind getting a couple of more MPG out of it. To be fair though I don't baby it, I weigh north of 290lbs, I run a Madstad and Baker hand wings, so I think I have a bit more drag than "average".

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
    There's gotta be something wrong, but on my trip to Denver, I filled up to the neck in Salida UT. When I got to Fruita CO 202 miles later, I could only put 3.5 in the tank!

That comes out to 57.71!!!

I had a crosswind. When my gage went down to the last white tick mark (long before the Colorado boarder crossing), I got nervous, slowed down to 70 and laid into the tank like a sportbike. I expected to be putting much more into the tank.

Maybe it's because I'm a lot smaller and lighter than you guys (?)
    My bike is sporting a Cee Baileys 13" with a vent, and a Corbin Smuggler trunk.

I paid dearly on the way back; I had a headwind. When I pulled into Salida I was almost to the red zone, but no warning yet.
    The mountains make a difference.

Most ECU's self-correct for altitude; less air means less fuel in order to maintain proper air fuel mixture. So chances are your 57 mpg was indeed accurate.

506 miles to get home

I've kept the mileage log for a 5,000 mile trip. Will be interesting to go over the stats. May get home tomorrow but I have a few stops. I'll let you guys know what kind of mileage and the conditions. Rode pretty hard today then was stopped for hours on I40 east of Memphis due to road construction. Never thought I'd say this but I'm ready to go home and rest a few days. But, I have 2 more grandkids wanting to visit before school starts so I'll have one more short run.

Buzz