Second gear clunk - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second gear clunk

Actually on upshifts when you get good you don't need the clutch at all just dip the revs
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post
    Actually on upshifts when you get good you don't need the clutch at all just dip the revs
    holy crap! I can't wait to get home and try this procedure.

to be clear, with downshifts, pull the clutch and then shift?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post

Gave this a try. Rossi I am not!!

It did work for me after some practice. Maybe I should get the extended warranty.

Heal toe shifter

Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    holy crap! I can't wait to get home and try this procedure.

to be clear, with downshifts, pull the clutch and then shift?
    Clutch always on the way down

On the way up just the release of tension on the clutch if that

But remember this is a Japanese gear box not a HD so smooth and fast
    Pete
    BikeMP3

William Blake

The first to second transitions are always going to be more clunky than other gear changes for a purely mechanical reasons... They are farther apart than other gears since they have neutral in between! I think we can agree it's normal...I think you just hear it more because the Wing is so quiet and smooth!! I think pre-loading the shifter lever (apply pressure, but not enough to force a change), and in a swift motion Shift...helps!
    RIDE FREE/RIDE HARD/RIDE OFTEN

Quote Originally Posted by Coop creek View Post
    Thank you Pedro, Jakec and JBnAZ. I took a long ride and practiced "preloading" the shift lever before pulling the clutch and it shifts up much, much better. Shift first, then pull the clutch, who would have thought?? A few times I forgot and it clunked and I was so mad I put it back in first and did it again!
    Ok...I'm dealin' w/ the same issue into overdrive(5) w/ just over 1000K.

I gotta admit I'm not totally understanding the prelaoding. "Shift 1st, then Clutch" is what I thought yall (Pedro) were stating but... but...... Dang, that's gunna be hard to convince my foot/hand to do! They got 20+ years of doing the opposite.

As for the 600 miles break in service. I'm not a gear head, nor do I like turning a wrench. I break more crap that I'm trying to fix/maintain. So I by the maintenance package and do my darndest to make them lose money.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Small pasture, just a split second before you shift put a little pressure on the shifter, pull in clutch and then put more pressure on shift lever until you engage next gear. You can't pussy foot these flat sixes or you can damage them. If you don't believe me just go to GL1800 Riders web site and look up ghost shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    Small pasture, just a split second before you shift put a little pressure on the shifter, pull in clutch and then put more pressure on shift lever until you engage next gear. You can't pussy foot these flat sixes or you can damage them. If you don't believe me just go to GL1800 Riders web site and look up ghost shifting.
    That because guys try to ride them like V twins and slowly clunk through even worse if you add a heel and toe that just encourages slow changes IMO
    Pete
    BikeMP3

William Blake

Totally agree with the shift techniques mentioned but fwiw after changing oil from honda mineral to mobil 1 the improvement for me was surprising and undeniable.