Test Rode an Indian Chieftain - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test Rode an Indian Chieftain

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B Blues View Post
    Thanks for all the info, they do look good though. What would worry me is the fact that this is what their 3rd rebirth, just how long would they be around this time. Not likely to see many here in the UK.
    They are run by Polaris-same company that makes the Victory brand Money is there to back them up and I to was impressed with fit and finish on these bikes.I have seen a few on the road here in Reno,NV.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

If Indian doesn't come out soon with something that DOESN'T look like an Indian,,, their market share will only continue to shrink,,,

Nostalgia can only get ya so far,,,
    Nostalgia...

it has worked pretty well for HD.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Nostalgia...

it has worked pretty well for HD.
    Key word is HAS. HD has played nostalgia for all its worth, and I believe they've finally realized that now,,,

Look at what HD's doing now,,,, Water assisted cooling on some bikes, 2 completely new low displacement water cooled bikes, an electric ~prototype,,,~

The market they are reaching out for today has very little to do with your typical 'Nostalgic Silverback',,,

If Indian wants anything more than just the 'scraps' off HD's table, they better start doing something far more impressive than just 3 bikes that all look like something you'd find in Great Grandpa's barn,,, or,, stick a fork in 'em,,,, they're done.

Head Configuration

I saw one up close and the imitation Flathead Look is cheap and weird looking.

The chrome heads with grooves to simulate Flathead Fins, looks fake.

Very unappealing to me.

Attachment 6554Attachment 6553

One can only hope for the day when ALL the motorcycle companies other than Honda lose their fascination with the V-twin as the go to powerplant. Especially the air cooled versions. When I saw the Polaris purchase of the Indian name I thought.. Good God, just what we need, ANOTHER line of V-twin cruisers.
    Inline fours, either way, V-4, V-6, parallel twins, triples... lots of other options are possible.
    Am I the only one that thinks like this?
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powercruzer13 View Post
    Inline fours, either way, V-4, V-6, parallel twins, triples... lots of other options are possible.
    Am I the only one that thinks like this?
    Nope. The HD bandwagon has sold a lot of V-twins, and Engineer's everywhere have had to -suffer- through that 'phase',,, (Give em what they want, not necessarily what makes 'sense' from a mechanical/Engineering standpoint)

Also,,,as far as I can see, I'm done with air-cooled bikes, regardless of configuration. Hot, mechanically noisy, and generally not that 'prolific in performance',,,.

The natural smoothness of opposed pistons are hard to beat, but I'd also be open to an I or V design

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Key word is HAS. HD has played nostalgia for all its worth, and I believe they've finally realized that now,,,

Look at what HD's doing now,,,, Water assisted cooling on some bikes, 2 completely new low displacement water cooled bikes, an electric ~prototype,,,~

The market they are reaching out for today has very little to do with your typical 'Nostalgic Silverback',,,

If Indian wants anything more than just the 'scraps' off HD's table, they better start doing something far more impressive than just 3 bikes that all look like something you'd find in Great Grandpa's barn,,, or,, stick a fork in 'em,,,, they're done.
    The touring water heads retain their nostalgic look. The "new" 500 and 750 are both v-twins and certainly don't look "modern". HD certainly turned its back on the buell look. They should do well overseas.

the elecric bike is a true cutting edge exercise. We'll have to see how that one shakes out.

Scraps off harleys table could feed a decent sized company. I think Indian will be around a long time. Harley, like Honda, isn't going anywhere.

H.D. has 40% of the market... +1
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    H.D. has 40% of the market...
    I know... which never ceases to amaze me. Around where I live (SoCal), it seems to be 40% cruisers, 40% sport bikes, and 20% everything else. That means 80% of the market is into the inefficient, impractical or uncomfortable and the other 20% have heads on their shoulders and view riding as more than a fashion show or a race.

That's a little hyperbolic I know... I just don't get the fascination with cruisers and sport bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    I just don't get the fascination with cruisers and sport bikes.
    People like all kinds of things, I guess that's what makes the world go around.