Neutral instead of 2nd Gear - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neutral instead of 2nd Gear

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I'm running the Kuryakin heel-toe shifter which "seems" to make missing 2nd easier...

We could call this rider error because with the proper technique it will never happen. On the otherhand we could also call it transmission design error because it doesn't need to be like this.

All in all it's a TINY issue to overcome and there's still no other bike in the world I'd rather have.
    its not a design issue if you changed the shifter though...

we are talking about the regular shifter not heal toe.. be hard to preload it...

Ghost shifting can start at any mileage, I'm sorry for repeating myself but go to GL1800 Riders site and search ghost shifting or Goldwing Greg from Just Wings, it will really open your eyes about the 1800 transmission.

Shifts

Wow, that's interesting, I've not experienced shifting issues with the 6. If anything , neutral is super smooth to click to from 1st or 2nd. I use amsoil (?) hope there's no trans problems with anyone. Thanks for the info.

Jake, thanks I'll take a peek over there. I can't say I'm looking forward to what I find.

SmokinJoe, maybe a better way to say it is it's an "issue of the design". I'm really just playing semantics here... with my thought being there seems to be other trannies that aren't are as easy to get neutral accidentally. If Honda REALLY wanted to they could tweak the design and minimize this phenomenon but there's no business case to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    Honda finally stepped up to the plate and changed the dogs on the gears in 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    If Honda REALLY wanted to they could tweak the design and minimize this phenomenon but there's no business case to do so.
    I'm confused. Did they change the design for 2014, or didn't they? Has anyone with a 2014 experienced any shifting issues?

Yes they did change the design for 2014. Much better design. I went to Wing Ding and Greg from Just Wings showed we the two gear sets, one from the 2014 and one from the earlier years and you couldn't believe the difference in the shifting dogs. If you get a chance go to the Just Wings site, some interesting reading and Greg is very knowledgable.

Huh. I stand corrected.

I find it interesting that Honda took the time and effort to dig into this issue considering that a new gearbox is currently on the drawing board.

Kudos!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    IMHO, the 6 requires a 'semi-conscious' shifting effort by the rider to avoid '1/2 shifts',,,,

My prior bike (Stratoliner) was a smooooth shifta!!!

The VTX before it?, Eh, not so 'smooth',,, (Sometimes wonder if shaft vs belt has anything to do with this, but )

IMHO, 'application orientated' footwear helps, meaning the TCX 'X-Cube Air' motorcycle shoes I wear now are far easier to shift with than my old Timberland Work boots. (Used the same Timberlands on the Strat, but foot position was a lot different,,,)

Becaus F6B shifts so much "slikier" compared to my previous ride (Harley Street Glide) I think I've been shifting it "too softly"

I have started to shift more "positively" with a little more "firm" pressure with my foot. It seems to shift better this way.

On Harelys, it's almost like "kickin" the shifter. lol

I really like the F6B's transmission: It's nice to be able to find neutral
    at the lights even when it's hot as heck in the AZ heat.

Quote Originally Posted by IamBatmanF6B View Post
    For me it is 2nd to 3rd because of my big old size 15 boot!
    I concur, my third gear doesn't like coming for a ride....lol. sometimes I have to lift 4 or 5 times. makes for a rather jerky shift......