Take off in 2nd gear - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take off in 2nd gear

First gear to low at low speeds, too jumpy, in parking lots. This weekend was at event with bike games, slow ride, plank ride, darts, etc.. second gear was the ticket, no nose dives at decel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony Deluxe View Post
    First gear to low at low speeds, too jumpy, in parking lots. This weekend was at event with bike games, slow ride, plank ride, darts, etc.. second gear was the ticket, no nose dives at decel.
    I agree with this, and am almost always in second for parking lots, u turns, etc. However starting from a dead stop there is no reason IMO to not use first gear. I shift out of it most of the time by 10-15mph, but so what, it is just one flick of my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I'm not a big fan of first gear. Jumpy as hell especially before full warm up. I try to use second as much as I can. Looking at Ricks gear indicator when he completes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebony Deluxe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    I agree with this, and am almost always in second for parking lots, u turns, etc. However starting from a dead stop there is no reason IMO to not use first gear. I shift out of it most of the time by 10-15mph, but so what, it is just one flick of my foot.
    +4 on the "jumpy" feeling in 1st gear... however I don't think it's the fault of the gearing... I think it's a twitchy throttle calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    Will it cause any damage to the tranny, clutch or engine ? Any of u guys take off in 2 nd gear ?
    I recommend using 2nd in tight spaces, 180 turns and parking lots.

Me too. I almost always start in 2nd - it's way smoother that way for me. I was actually meaning to post a question if anyone else did that or if it was doing any harm. Thanks wantone for putting it out there.