Does the Wing under-deliver?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does the Wing under-deliver?

From Goldwing Docs:

I've heard this grumbling more than a few times over the past few years. Goldwing owners, paying as much as $30,000 - a premium price, for a premium product, to purchase the flagship of Honda's motorcycle offerings, only to look at other bikes with far more advanced technology and features. Some of these bikes are sold for far less, and some are being sold by Honda! So what gives?
    I mentioned this myself when I did a review on the Cleveland Motorcycle Showlast February. It seemed like there were competitors to the mighty Goldwing popping up left and right, and all of them were bristling with the newest technology: Bluetooth, MP3 music capability, advanced ABS, electrically adjustable windshields, on-the-fly adjustable suspension, advanced HID and adaptive LED lighting, adjustable handlebars, throttle-by-wire, handlebar-mounted system controls, the list goes on and on. All of these things were featured on competitors bikes as well as some other Honda motorcycles, yet not a single one of them is available on the GL1800.

Honda has done very little to the GL1800 for quite a few years now - apart from creating derivatives of the platform (F6B, Valkyrie), the extent of the changes made to the Goldwing have been mostly minor styling and new paint colors. Great things were expected however for the 2015 model year of Honda's flagship, as it is the 40th anniversary for the Goldwing. Rumors abounded: a complete redesign, new engine, new cockpit, advanced technology. Honda, secretive and tight-lipped as ever, offered no clues. So when they finally released the details of the much-vaunted 40th Anniversary Goldwing, it was a bit tough to be anything but underwhelmed: A new paint scheme, a "40th Anniversary" badge, and a special key. That's it.

That said, the GL1800 obviously does have quite a bit going for it, and at the top of the list is the legendary Honda reliability. There are people riding Goldwings of every type as daily drivers with literally hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Most of the new competitors haven't been around long enough to have racked up that kind of mileage.

The grumbling has grown a bit louder, and I have heard from several people who simply refuse to spend $30,000 on a new Goldwing based on, essentially, 1990's technology. Instead of moving from their older Goldwing to a newer Goldwing, they're moving to other bikes entirely. Unlike the situation 20 years ago, where there were no real competitors to the Goldwing, today there are quite a few alternatives, and some of them are excellent bikes.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Unlike the situation 20 years ago, where there were no real competitors to the Goldwing, today there are quite a few alternatives, and some of them are excellent bikes.
    Notice there's none listed. There are other bikes with some advanced technology items, but there's no other bike that compares all around. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Notice there's none listed. There are other bikes with some advanced technology items, but there's no other bike that compares all around. IMHO
    +1.

That's exactly why I bought the F6B,
    A bad ass looking bike that keeps running forever!

Like what for instance? Only the Yam fjr 1300 came close on my spec sheet, but just didn't have the comfort of the f6.
    ss^,
    Ken

The BMW 1600 was in my cross hairs for a moment, but price and styling just didn't appeal to me. I also seem to recall some clunky issues with the " high tech" handlebar contols/ electronics.

I had a 06 ST1300 before I bought my F6B. And it was a little more advance then the Wing but behind the other sport tour bikes. The wing should be updated. I loved the adjustable windshield it's the best thing you can put on a motorcycle. It also told you the MPG. Which is nice. Honda should offer anti-lock brakes for those who want them.
    But once you get on the F6B and that flat six moves you down the road you forget what's missing and just enjoy the ride. Adjustable W.S would still be nice.

same ole complaining by the GW crowd...I want a 2500cc motor and a 6th speed, I want to move super sonic and be stealth never once realizing what they do have is pretty nice...I'll take bomb proof over super sonic any day...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

No.

I would never spend $30K on a Wing, but was quite happy to spend about half that on my new F6B. I think it actually overdelivers.

There is nothing that can touch it at the $14K-16K price point which is around what many folks paid for a new leftover 2013 F6B. I really don't think you can lump the F6B in with the other Wings because of its features, or lack thereof, and it's price point.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I would never spend $30K on a Wing, but was quite happy to spend about half that on my new F6B. I think it actually overdelivers.

There is nothing that can touch it at the $14K-16K price point which is around what many folks paid for a new leftover 2013 F6B. I really don't think you can lump the F6B in with the other Wings because of its features, or lack thereof, and it's price point.
    I got to say I agree wholeheartedly. Paid 15.6 k for my new 2013. Some are getting even betyer prices now. Comparing what you can get in this price range, well not much of a comparison. IMHO