SuperBrace review! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SuperBrace review!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridlikhel View Post
    And striction is What???
    Stiction is static friction. (I looked it up) Basically if the forks aren't straight they will bind up.

They were referring to stiction - "Stiction is the static friction that needs to be overcome to enable relative motion of stationary objects in contact. The term is a portmanteau of the term "static friction", perhaps also influenced by the verb "stick"".

Binding of the fork. Imagine if the brace was not dimensionally correct so that when installed it tended to push or pull laterally on the fork. This would result, as was just said, in a slight bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    A fork brace is a fork brace.... Not sure how how a number of parts could make one better or worse...I would think the more parts, to a point, would make for a more custom fit....
    Traxxion is considered an expert in motorcycle suspension performance parts. The quote below is from the Traxxion website regarding the design of their fork which is based on the original Kury design. This statement from Traxxion is the reason I did not purchase a 2 piece fork brace.

The Traxxion Dynamics GL1800 Fork Brace is designed and manufactured to increase the rigidity of the steering of the GL1800 without creating any additional stiction in the forks. Our fork brace is designed with special slotted centering holes so its impossible to put the forks into a bind when installed properly. With a common two-piece design, it is impossible to allow for machining and assembly tolerances which can lead to very high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. You will have less flex at parking lot speeds and additional stability on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
    They were referring to stiction - "Stiction is the static friction that needs to be overcome to enable relative motion of stationary objects in contact. The term is a portmanteau of the term "static friction", perhaps also influenced by the verb "stick"".

Basically, binding of the fork. Imagine if the brace was not dimensionally correct so that when installed it tended to push or pull laterally on the fork.
    How does one insure that this"stiction" does not happen when you install the fork brace...Again I am confused as what is the best way to go, if at all....A trusted tech of mine, years of working on Honda GW's, says I really don't need one on the F6B as I only ride one-up, no luggage and not a very aggressive style rider...As a result I would probably not notice much advantage over the long run...???

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Traxxion is considered an expert in motorcycle suspension performance parts. The quote below is from the Traxxion website regarding the design of their fork which is based on the original Kury design. This statement from Traxxion is the reason I did not purchase a 2 piece fork brace.
    Did you expect Traxxion to say the Kury was better ????
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    How does one insure that this"stiction" does not happen when you install the fork brace...Again I am confused as what is the best way to go, if at all....A trusted tech of mine, years of working on Honda GW's, says I really don't need one on the F6B as I only ride one-up, no luggage and not a very aggressive style rider...As a result I would probably not notice much advantage over the long run...???
    You definitely don't need one, especially based on your riding style. No one actually needs a fork brace on a F6B, it's just one of those relatively cheap bolt ons that some of us enjoy adding for a little better handling, particularly in slow speed maneuvers. Some riders don't even notice any change with the fork brace while others do. It's one of those things that works well for some and not for others.

As for installation, I just followed the instructions that came with mine and checked for stiction afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post

Basically, binding of the fork. Imagine if the brace was not dimensionally correct so that when installed it tended to push or pull laterally on the fork.
    Copy. So I am assuming that the advocates of the 5 piece system are saying because it has more pieces, it should be able to fit better, theoretically preventing the stiction issue better than a 2 piece system.

I can see that logic applying if I wanted to put a brace on my '95 Heritage that has never had a brace on it and might be a bit off-kilter. But for a new bike? Probably not so much.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Did you expect Traxxion to say the Kury was better ????

Yes, that's what they are saying. Traxxion designed their fork brace based on the 5 piece Kury design. They use to sell the Kury Brace and then developed their own similar brace. They are saying a 2 piece design is more prone to stiction issues. In affect, they are validating that the Kury design is superior to a 2 piece design.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Your tech friend is probably correct. As far as avoidance, it will need to come first from the manufacturer and the aforementioned tolerances.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Copy. So I am assuming that the advocates of the 5 piece system are saying because it has more pieces, it should be able to fit better, theoretically preventing the stiction issue better than a 2 piece system.
    I'll need a closer look but there may be an install procedure that could help, or hinder, as well. This is particularly true as the number of bolts increases. My initial thought was that a brace was going to be a bitch to install and then I learned it came in two pieces. I was a bit skeptical even about the two piece design but bobbyf6b's review has made me want to give one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    You definitely don't need one, especially based on your riding style. No one actually needs a fork brace on a F6B, it's just one of those relatively cheap bolt ons that some of us enjoy adding for a little better handling, particularly in slow speed maneuvers. Some riders don't even notice any change with the fork brace while others do. It's one of those things that works well for some and not for others.

As for installation, I just followed the instructions that came with mine and checked for stiction afterwards.
    Thanks for the reply and I have no intention of opening another "can of worms" about a fork brace...As you stated if you want one and it works for you do it!!..If one feels they do not want/need one, like myself, I will ride my F6B as is and enjoy it...I will probably give this bike to my son in a couple of years and he then can do as he wants.....Regards and ride safe