Belly pan? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belly pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Blotar View Post
    We have a tall suspension bridge here that I ride twice a day. Some days there is a lot of gusty wind on top, especially. I rode two or three months of this before I got a belly pan. (SS, Louvered) I had a pretty good idea of how the F6B acted in the wind and after the belly pan the bike seemed much more unaffected by it.
    Blotar
    That tells me that even with louvering, most air is deflected away from the parts of the engine that may have been designed by Honda to cool the oil.
    I know thousands of GL1800 owners have installed bellypans, but the idea of choking off cooling air that may be vital to the engine still bothers me.
    OTOH, protecting the coolant overflow bottle, oil filter, and bottom of the sump is also desirable.
    I'm torn.

Although I prefer the look of the anodized black one the Macgyver looks like it will withstand a harder hit. Not that I plan on jumping curbs ever but you never know. It is steel and not vented at all but seems like a few holes in the front cover might put some air flow under the bike and still reap the benefits.
    On the site there were a couple of complaints about increased heat and it makes sense,but I am concerned about the protection and hopefully a bit more stable in the wind.
    I've had a couple 'pucker' moments in cross winds.one which moved the bike before I was aware of what was happening. That was a high 'flyover' exit from one highway to another at about 70 mph. Got blown onto the lane line for the next lane before I knew what was happening,corrected ok but if it helps with that AND protects my underbelly, cheap at the cost...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    That tells me that even with louvering, most air is deflected away from the parts of the engine that may have been designed by Honda to cool the oil.
    I know thousands of GL1800 owners have installed bellypans, but the idea of choking off cooling air that may be vital to the engine still bothers me.
    OTOH, protecting the coolant overflow bottle, oil filter, and bottom of the sump is also desirable.
    I'm torn.
    Water cooled engine with a temp guage.If my F6B were overheated it would show on the temp guage.Since installing the belly pan the needle has not moved a lick -still a hair under the middle no matter what the temp outside.Still cannot see a proven negative for installing one only positive as stated by many here.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Water cooled engine with a temp guage.If my F6B were overheated it would show on the temp guage.Since installing the belly pan the needle has not moved a lick -still a hair under the middle no matter what the temp outside.Still cannot see a proven negative for installing one only positive as stated by many here.

Have you noticed any change in the frequency of the rad fans operation?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Have you noticed any change in the frequency of the rad fans operation?
    No not at all.Have been in temps to 105 outside and temp stays at middle.Stop and go fan will cycle but not any more then before and it quickly brings back the temp to normal like they are supposed too.You have to take the temp guage into the red to get a overheat situation.Never even come close-have to believe it would take total fan faliure to create this.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    No not at all.Have been in temps to 105 outside and temp stays at middle.Stop and go fan will cycle but not any more then before and it quickly brings back the temp to normal like they are supposed too.You have to take the temp guage into the red to get a overheat situation.Never even come close-have to believe it would take total fan faliure to create this.
    Thank you. I had read about increased fan operation with belly pans that didn't have louvers.