How big of a deal is ABS? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How big of a deal is ABS?

Mine has ABS and I have tested it out on numerous parking lot trials. Works good for those emergency stops if required. Never needed it so far on the open road (knock on wood). I think the linked braking system is sufficient for most of our needs.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    You might disagree with everything
    Not everything.
    I agree that the F6B is one helluva' bike, ABS or not.

I 'd rather ABS than Linked Brakes

This is my first with a Linked Brake System. I found out the first time I came down my driveway and made the hard left onto the grass to swing around and line up for backing in my garage. Only using the rear brake for this maneuver as I always do I still felt the front slide out a bit. I had to change my approach but now I have to also think every time I ride up onto the steel deck of the Ferry.

I have braked my Valk (hard enough on front and rear) to the point of feeling the Front Wheel lock and a linked system will do nothing to help there, BUT ABS sure would.

I practice braking and use both brakes as needed, BUT don't care for the Linked system at all.

As always that just me. We all have different riding styles and needs.

I didn't have a radio on a bike till I got my first Goldwing. Now I cant see how I rode without it. I think it would be the same with the ABS. I never had it but if I ever do get a bike with it I will probably never go without. It has saved me a few times through the years in my truck.

I dislike the linked brakes. I don't mind the front activating the rear, but hate the rear activating the front. Gravel driveways/roads, grass and slippery surfaces all become more dangerous with the linked brakes.

My bike has the ABS, to my knowledge I've never activated it during braking, so don't give it much thought. I did ride a BMW once with a very crude ABS system and it was very intrusive, cutting in early and vibrating the brake lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I dislike the linked brakes. I don't mind the front activating the rear, but hate the rear activating the front. Gravel driveways/roads, grass and slippery surfaces all become more dangerous with the linked brakes.

My bike has the ABS, to my knowledge I've never activated it during braking, so don't give it much thought. I did ride a BMW once with a very crude ABS system and it was very intrusive, cutting in early and vibrating the brake lever.
    BMW invented ABS in late 70th . They were pioneers in most advanced ideas . I use to own and rode 7 different models of BMW's . All of them were equipped with ABS's . Never had any problems . Germans designed unique combination . Hand brake lever was linked to both wheels with servo assistance and was used for various and definitely more effective methods of stoppage , but rear foot brake had separate line and could be activated on curves , or slippery surfaces . In this point any BMW is sportier , more controllable and with skilled rider friskier in any condition . You experienced vibration related to bad brake pads or bent rotor(s) and that's the reason of impression noted above . Since I ride F6B , I've changed my habits and quickly learned to operate with more caution and decided to keep my rides that way .

wanted abs

you can have the radio......I wanted abs ,but got tired of waiting for it .....linked brakes work real well,but I would much rather have abs,brake systems with out abs are dangerous and obsolete.....do your homework......

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    you can have the radio......I wanted abs ,but got tired of waiting for it .....linked brakes work real well,but I would much rather have abs,brake systems with out abs are dangerous and obsolete.....do your homework......
    I agree. Almost all cars have ABS and it makes more sense for 2 wheels than 4 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    BMW invented ABS in late 70th .
    Hmmm..... The anti lock braking concept was developed early on on the last century, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't BMW. Why would Honda include this feature for some countries but not others? Strictly economics as others have said here already.

If ABS wasn't beneficial to the safety and well being of the rider or to put it another way, if it was likely to cause harm to the rider, regulatory bodies and the manufacturers wouldn't approve it or include it as a feature/option.

I've never met anyone that is such a skillful a rider (although many think they are) as to not need technology to help them out in a jam once in a while. lol...

I have never had a motorcycle with ABS brakes but I was told by a trailer
    maker the #1 cause of motorcycles pulling trailer accidents was the brakes
    locked up, and ABS will prevent this, he had a list of names of riders I could
    contact that had this happen to them, the subject came up because I am buying
    a trailer from him and he wonted to know did my bike have ABS he did not know
    it was a F6B.