Why don't we riders argue and bicker about this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we riders argue and bicker about this?

I am a helmet whore... from $35 to $800...just depends on the weather or the distance on which one I wear if I even wear one...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I have a Roof Desmo modular helmet

I would wear one even if not required, in the same way as I always wear my leathers.

shooter
    Old Ryder its like this. Too many restrictions. I don't believe in them . Shouldn't have to wear a seat belt or a helmet. Its your head , do what you want with it. I always wear a seat belt and only the best for my head. I only wear Shoei. These days a RF 1100 or most often a Neotec Modular. Gloss Black or Flat Black depending on my mood.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter1800 View Post
    I wear a Pit Boss half helmet also. Probably should wear a full face but I just can't seem to find a comfortable one.
    If you get a chance try a Shoei. I can wear mine 20 hrs a day.

+1 on the Shoei comment. I have had helmets from HJC and Fulmer on up. Tried a Shoei and loved it for a number of years. Tried an Arai and I will never go back.

I think there are fewer discussions and arguments over helmets because everyone's head is a different shape, including ears that get pinched or don't stick out or don't fit in the opening or don't, etc. The choice of a helmet is a very personal thing.

Rob
    Rob
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    What kind of helmet do you wear?
    So here is the question for those who choose or are required to wear a brain bucket--- What brand and model do you use and more importantly is the question, WHY? If the reason is price, then that is fine too. I want to know what you are thinking.
    I'm afraid to discuss my helmet choice, due to the obscene price I paid for it. When I rode a BMW, I had an Schuberth Concept helmet (that's all the BMW dealer sold).
    As I look back, although it was a huge investment at the time, it was well worth it as far as riding experience, it was without a doubt the quietest helmet I rode with.
    When I picked up my very fast Black F6B, I just had to have a new helmet.
    Right now there must be 5 helmets in my garage, and they've only been worn a couple of times each.
    Yep, ended up back at a BMW dealer and got a new Schuberth helmet. And I was stunned that it cost double the previous Schuberth.
    It was hard to swallow the price tag, but for quiet and comfort it beats the rest.
    So if WHY? is the question, my answer is quiet and comfort.

Shoei just fits...me

I had HJC, RF1100s and now a 1200.
    My wife mentioned, in quiet passing, that if I get any uglier, she's leaving me, so full face it is.
    I also cracked my HJC helmet with a rock kicked up by a truck on the I-5 on my 4th ride - ever. I thought I'd been shot (which in LA in the mid 90s was a definite possibility).
    As I sat there on the side of the road looking at my helmet in disbelief, I knew if that had hit my face, I would not have been in an upright position.

SO...why full face? Scared straight.

Why Shoei? It fits better than anything else I have tried.
    Why the RF-1200? In the words of Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School" - "It feels like an "A".
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Shoei Multitec for me. Other than the obvious reasons I wear "full face", is the comfort factor. No sunburn, no windburn, no rain issues. I can ride longer and be less tired with the old head and face covered. I wear a smoked screen in the daytime, and love the anonymous factor too.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoPumps View Post
    +1 on the Shoei comment. I have had helmets from HJC and Fulmer on up. Tried a Shoei and loved it for a number of years. Tried an Arai and I will never go back.

I think there are fewer discussions and arguments over helmets because everyone's head is a different shape, including ears that get pinched or don't stick out or don't fit in the opening or don't, etc. The choice of a helmet is a very personal thing.

Rob
    That's it Rob. You have to find the brand that fits your head. Too many people try to put cost first. It should be the best you can afford that fits. Lots of good helmets out there for less than $200.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Shoei Multitec for me. Other than the obvious reasons I wear "full face", is the comfort factor. No sunburn, no windburn, no rain issues. I can ride longer and be less tired with the old head and face covered. I wear a smoked screen in the daytime, and love the anonymous factor too.
    Buddy you are spot on. That sunburn/wind burn thing is a big factor. I always wear a Joe Rocket full mesh coat in hot weather also. That sun in the summer can be brutal. The mesh is cooler than no coat and the sun burning you.