Vehicle Tracking Devices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Tracking Devices

Vehicle Tracking Devices

Does anyone have any experience with vehicle tracking devices. Given the expense of these bikes, I was thinking of adding a GPS based tracking unit, as "just in case" insurance. Way cheaper than Lojacks. Anyone have one? I've never had much luck with bike alarms though that may be subject of another thread.
    ss^,
    Ken

Did you take a look at the list of "least stolen motorcycles?"
    One of the major insurance companies has a list somewhere on the web I read not too long ago.
    The Goldwing is tops on the list.
    They stated that it would take three people to heist a wing due to the weight, as well as it's not going to fit into an Econoline.

According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau....
    https://rideapart.com/articles/10-ne...ver-get-stolen

Yea, do you know anyone who has had a bike stolen? Although there are many stolen, I feel it is kind of like identity theft, just another issue the media loves to push... Now if you have a Honda Civic, or a rocket, you may need more insurance...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Ok, First: Steve 0080 - I have had several bikes stolen. based on my limited knowlage, If it is not recovered in the first hour ... it is gone.

Next: fxdl2051 - I looked into this extensivly, mainly for my wife's shadow (much easier to steal). The only reasonable system I could see when comparing up front cost with monthly maintenance was the Scorpio "Ride" system. The only problem I had with it is the coverage. The use T-Mobile for the tracking and coverage is spotty in places.

Rather than tracking, I went with the Scorpio alarm systems for the alarm system with proximity detector and ignition cutout. These seem to work well with both of our bikes, especially the proximity detector.

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    Ok, First: Steve 0080 - I have had several bikes stolen. based on my limited knowlage, If it is not recovered in the first hour ... it is gone.

Next: fxdl2051 - I looked into this extensivly, mainly for my wife's shadow (much easier to steal). The only reasonable system I could see when comparing up front cost with monthly maintenance was the Scorpio "Ride" system. The only problem I had with it is the coverage. The use T-Mobile for the tracking and coverage is spotty in places.

Rather than tracking, I went with the Scorpio alarm systems for the alarm system with proximity detector and ignition cutout. These seem to work well with both of our bikes, especially the proximity detector.

WOW!!!!!! You must have a dark cloud over your head...I have never heard of anyone having multiple anything stolen.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I checked into getting a tracking system but for a different reason. When ever I go on a long trip my two daughters worry about where I am and I have to check in letting them im ok. Strange how that situation has changed now that they are grown. Well anywho im looking at a phone app that they can see where Im riding.
    Ive never had a bike stolen and I guess Ive never realy thought about a locator for that reason but with todays technology you would think there would be a lot of products to choose from. Good luck finding what you need.
    Avatar is a photograph I took July 4th 2009 of a flag and cannon located on Freeman's Farm at Saratoga National Park in Stillwater, New York. A location of a Revolutionary battle field and an American victory over the British in the Autumn of 1777. Let us give thanks to all Veterans past and present for their sacrifice.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    WOW!!!!!! You must have a dark cloud over your head...I have never heard of anyone having multiple anything stolen.....
    Are you sure ?????

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Unfortunately many have been the victim of theft, I have had a trailer stolen, you, had a pot full stolen...my only point is/was that normally it is a one time occurrence ...if you have had many of anything stolen, you need to look at who you are running with or change a lot of things...just saying

Besides I was not trying to bring "that" up...

And I still think all these devices are a waste of money... have insurance and start picking out the new one ...

Steve - Unfortunately, after 40+ years of riding all over this world (6 of the 7 continents), we can end up in some interesting places ..... It's not a matter of trusting the folks you run with (I had a tendency to trust them with my life .... literally ...) It's just a matter of sometime ending up in interesting places ..... I have had things taken in the best of places ... and I also live in Wales for a while ...

OK, I am off my soapbox for a while now.

As far as the alarms go, my wife loves the proximity alarm. No one can get near her "soft" saddle bags without it warning them away...

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post

Curious as to how many is "several" bikes stolen...I know of a couple guys that have had a bike stolen, or a car, etc., actually have never heard of someone with more than one item stolen...Just curious.....I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I have been riding and driving for 60 years and never had any vehicles/bikes stolen...Ride safe