Slow, conservative riders unite! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slow, conservative riders unite!

I'll ride with 'ya.

Hey Joe, the wife and I will be cruising through Ft. Collins on the way to Denver in late May. Maybe we can share a few miles.

Some people look and feel Kool stopped
    Some going fast all dressed up in multi color leathers on shiny bikes still look like dorks
    Some feel kool just kicking back and taking it all in
    I've crashed at over 200Kph
    Dropped the bike standing still
    Speed Cameras Suck
    Now I just kick back and laugh at the bikes parked beside the car with the flashing lights

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I'm like you for just cruising. Speeding tickets and the associated hit on my wallet and driver's licence (insurance) rating are not worth it.
    But I will open 'er up, road and police conditions permitting.
    Twisting that throttle just feels too good!
    I am in the same category as Bigbird....Past the days, hopefully of speeding tickets, etc. and as said above, my wife got one ticket in her car two years ago, had two minor fender benders,(neither her fault) over the past five years and StateFarm raised my insurance rates by 30% "assholes"..Michigan already has the highest insurance rates in the country and I cannot afford any more increases in premiums!!! But, if it looks okay on certain roads I will "twist the ole throttle a bit".....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I am in the same category as Bigbird....Past the days, hopefully of speeding tickets, etc. and as said above, my wife got one ticket in her car two years ago, had two minor fender benders,(neither her fault) over the past five years and StateFarm raised my insurance rates by 30% "assholes"..Michigan already has the highest insurance rates in the country and I cannot afford any more increases in premiums!!! But, if it looks okay on certain roads I will "twist the ole throttle a bit".....Ride safe
    Don't even try to compare these multiple barbaric rates to N.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Don't even try to compare these multiple barbaric rates to N.J.
    I don't go across the river anymore. Even if the gas is cheaper. It's not worth it. The "shore" isn't worth it. The "Do AC" isn't worth it.
    If you sneeze and the speedo goes ever so slightly past the limit, you can bet there's a trooper with nothing better to do than waste 20 minutes of your time and a lot of your money.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Amipro View Post
    Hey Joe, the wife and I will be cruising through Ft. Collins on the way to Denver in late May. Maybe we can share a few miles.
    For sure. I may be headed your way some time this spring as well. I always like to hit the Amana Colonies for a day or two now and then.

Bad thing is I'm back to a weekend night situation with work so most of my riding will be Sunday - Wednesday this season if all holds as it is.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by terrydj View Post
    Some people look and feel Kool stopped
    Some going fast all dressed up in multi color leathers on shiny bikes still look like dorks
    Some feel kool just kicking back and taking it all in
    I've crashed at over 200Kph
    Dropped the bike standing still
    Speed Cameras Suck
    Now I just kick back and laugh at the bikes parked beside the car with the flashing lights
    LOL! Well said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's not like I never go fast. I did hit 115 or so the other day passing three trucks, but if anyone knows the area and highway 14 through the Pawnee Grasslands between Fort Collins and Sterling, there are stretches flat and straight as a board and where you can see for miles and miles as the old song says.

That being said, it was right back down to 75-80 once the trucks were in the rear view mirrors.

Back to some of the responses: You're saying some people ride this Tail of the Dragon by themselves and then meet back up at the end of the day or for lunch or something? I mean it -- I maybe go a group ride once a year other than the Sturgis demo rides. The only other rider I ride with occasionally is my wife. The vast majority of my miles are by myself. But I'm in a phase of life where that's kind of where I'm at 24/7 anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not one that is bothered about the speed limiter. Don't need a ticket or worse ,jail time. I do sometimes find I hit the rev limiter, because the bike is so smooth and quiet. I do , however, really enjoy romping it through some twisty sections of roads. Like my friend Smokin' Joe says on the VRCC at the beginning of any group ride. He holds up his throttle hand with a twisting motion and explains " I control my world, you control yours, ride your own ride"

I'm with you Injun Joe. I had many years of going fast - I was fighter pilot in the Australian Air Force for 20 years and got all the speed I needed :-). These days I like to ride within my limits, I don't want to have to be on constant lookout for the police to avoid a ticket, and I enjoy the journey on the F6B, as much as the destination, so I am in no rush to make the journey come to an end. Even though I have a fast red one, I am able to control my speed somehow :-)

P.S. Came across the the other day - thought you might like it.......

The Lone Ranger and Tonto walked into a saloon and sat down to drink a beer.
    After a few minutes, a big tall cowboy walked in and said "Who owns the big white horse outside?"
    The Lone Ranger stood up, hitched his gun belt, and said, "I do....Why?"
    The cowboy looked at the Lone Ranger and said, "I just thought you'd like to know that your horse is about dead outside!"
    The Lone Ranger and Tonto rushed outside and sure enough Silver was ready to die from heat exhaustion.
    The Lone Ranger got the horse water and soon Silver was starting to feel a little better.
    The Lone Ranger turned to Tonto and said, "Tonto, I want you to run around Silver and see if you can create enough of a breeze to make him start to feel better."
    Tonto said, "Sure, Kemosabe" and took off running circles around Silver.
    Not able to do anything else but wait, the Lone Ranger returned to the saloon to finish his drink.
    A few minutes later, another cowboy struts into the bar and asks, "Who owns that big white horse outside?"
    The Lone Ranger stands again, and claims, "I do, what's wrong with him this time?"
    "Nothing, but you left your injun runnin!"