Honda tall windshield or Madstad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda tall windshield or Madstad?

Sorry I should have added to my origonal response

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    One of the first things I did was get rid of that stock little shield and put on a Honda Tall Shield with the vent. It was OK but very noisy for me. I now have a Madstad 15" and am very happy. MUCH less wind noise and with the Madstad being a wider shield it has much better protection from the elements. I usually have it allmost the way down but really like the fact that in the cold here in New England I can slide it up all the way and stay warm and dry when needed.
    After the Honda Tall shield I purchased a Clearview because I had one on my Valk, but I still wasn't happy. My first Madstad was the 13" and because I could see way over it when it was all the way down I decided to try the 15". With the 15" I can slide it down and see over the top which is how it is most of the time. BUT for me, on some occasions I want the extreme protection that the 15" offers.

I have the 13" Madstad windshield. There is Zero buffeting. I'm 6'01". I have it set up all the way up and at a 55 degree angle. I've considered lowering it to get more wind (it's that good). I believe it has a 4" up/down movement and an angle adjustment of 55 - 65 degrees. It took me awhile to decide on this windshield because it's not as "sleek" looking as the original, but I haven't regretted it and now I'm used to it and kind of like it. Here's some pictures of my ride this past Sunday.

Attachment 12662Attachment 12663Attachment 12661

I'm 5'10" and have a goldwing takeoff windshield with vent on it. I love it. I actually can see through it (mostly) and just leave my visor to the helmet up (usually it's down, to prevent bug-in-eye-syndrome) when I ride. Granted I only have 80 miles on the bike so far, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    This thread made me think about this- so I hope it doesn't sound like a hijack. Short q is what don't previous posters not like about the Honda tall...noise was one thing mentioned...(I'm coming from years of no screen on my Triumph, so I'm hoping the shortie keeps me happy for a while.
    prefix: I'm 5'10" and have the Mustang seat installed.
    I had the Honda tall installed before I took delivery of my F6B.... came off of a BMW with a tall windshield.
    The Honda tall, in my case does not provide the same "protection" that I had on the BMW, still had quite a bit of turbulence on the helmet.
    Purchased a few other windshields, but not happy with them.

I just picked up the Madstad, but the weather hasn't let me try it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    prefix: I'm 5'10" and have the Mustang seat installed.
    I had the Honda tall installed before I took delivery of my F6B.... came off of a BMW with a tall windshield.
    The Honda tall, in my case does not provide the same "protection" that I had on the BMW, still had quite a bit of turbulence on the helmet.
    Purchased a few other windshields, but not happy with them.

I just picked up the Madstad, but the weather hasn't let me try it out yet.
    Thanks- sounds like you are a little taller than I. I'll still see what the lower shield feels like- but I am following this thread! It'd be nice not to need a full face helmet...

From some of the threads I've followed, it sounds like a mere inch or so rider height can make a big difference.
    Thanks again for elaborating.

This thread is making me miss my Madstad; I may pop my Clearview off and put the M back on.

If you're waffling about sizes, of any shield, consider the larger one if you ride two up; it may offer a better ride for the passenger.

I'm 6'1" and have the 13" Madstad. Perfecto. I could raise it up another inch but it's perfect set right in the middle. I tried 3 other one piece shields and nothing satisfied until I got this one. Highly recommend.

I have had my Madstad for about 20k miles at this point and it is great with the 13" shield, it is also really good with the 11". I am 6', and slightly tall waisted I suppose.

I tried the stock shorty and a Tulsa sport before getting the Madstad and then recently had a wild hair and decided to try a Clearview for the looks of it....the Clearview was second best, but it took literally about 3 miles to decide to send it back. The Madstad (and presumably windbender as well although I have never ridden with one personally) are really in a whole different ballpark than everything else for being able to ride in a quiet bubble with just a bit of breeze in your face. I look over my shield by a couple of inches, and have zero issues riding 70mph on the freeway with my face shield up. Trying that with a "normal" screen you can look over is nutty.

The one thing I will say is that I do wish I would have gotten the clear top shield as the dark smoke causes a distracting darker spot in my vision at night. Also if you look back through old threads I have a whistle that is maddening. Since that point I have started wearing earplugs and because of that I don't hear it anymore, but I rode to lunch the other day without them and it is still there, and I have never been able to track it down. So just be aware that it has it's own set of potential issues, but it is IMO the best shield going.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post

Also if you look back through old threads I have a whistle that is maddening. Since that point I have started wearing earplugs and because of that I don't hear it anymore, but I rode to lunch the other day without them and it is still there, and I have never been able to track it down. So just be aware that it has it's own set of potential issues, but it is IMO the best shield going.
    I thought the whistling issue was solved. Didn't Madstad say it was due to the shaping or something at the top of the shield... and new shields were changed to get rid of it?

I've only had my Madstad windshield for three weeks. If I pay attention; I could hear a faint whistle at slow highway speeds, but it's not that noticable. Although my wife says I have bionic ears.