Anyone NOT own a handgun? - Page 23
Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT own a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I wouldn't be too proud of either of those two.
    At least In Canada we only have one of those two problems.
    I take great pride in being able to possess a fire arm under the laws of the Republic.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    I take great pride in being able to possess a fire arm under the laws of the Republic.

Most proud as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Most proud as well.
    Honored for the privilege; proud of the tradition.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I didn't accuse anybody of anything.

Out of curiosity, who is the collective "we" that you are speaking for.?
    PATRIOTS. That's who WE are bird. This is the only country that has them. WE are what keeps this country free. If you think that a gun in every pocket and in every closet doesn't help keep a country free , ask a Chinese citizen. Or a Russian citizen. The military are patriots also. They carry the torch.

That's a funny thing. I've spent some time in China, in Hong Kong and further north in Guangzhou.

Hong Kong has had a taste of freedom due to prior British rule and the western influence is readily apparent; both by seeing stores like 7-Eleven and Pizza Hut but also in something intangible in the people themselves, you might call it a mindset. People seem relaxed and comfortable talking about anything.

The "real" Chinese in places on the mainland like Guangzhou are a stark contrast. There are things you DON'T talk about, things you DON'T say, and behaviors that you DON'T do. There seems to be a clear fear of reprimand from authorities. These people, just like us, go about their daily lives trying to make a living and trying to enjoy their lives... and they do, they just don't have the same protections from the government that we in western countries have.

Frankly, the Chinese system works for them, and that carries weight considering they've been doing this for thousands of years longer than us. They don't give a second thought about lack of gun ownership... and they don't have rampant crime rates, but I think this is due to the government literally being able to whisk you away on a whim. This scares people straight. There are many many many stories of "dissidents" who spoke too loudly and were made to disappear after getting a visit from Party personnel. Sometimes you'll see them again after a decade or two, other times never.

The link between gun ownership and crime goes much further than a two-dimensional, black and white discussion. Banning guns *clearly* works and is fine in some parts of the world... but you can't take one aspect of one society and expect to apply it successfully in other societies that have vastly different inputs into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    There are many many many stories of "dissidents" who spoke too loudly and were made to disappear after getting a visit from Party personnel. Sometimes you'll see them again after a decade or two, other times never.
    Ah the luxury the government has dispatching the principles of the 1A and 2A. There's a reason they came first and second in the Bill of Rights. PS, guns aren't banned in China..........the government has tons of them. And they wouldn't have a second thought about turning them on their citizens. As well as Somalia, Cuba, Russia,Venezuela and on and on and on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    ... PS, guns aren't banned in China..........the government has tons of them. And they wouldn't have a second thought about turning them on their citizens. As well as Somalia, Cuba, Russia,Venezuela and on and on and on.
    Agree.

I found something that was absolutely incredulous and mind-blowing... most Chinese have no clue about Tiananmen Square; they just don't know it ever happened. This is true even now, in this great "information age" that we live in.

Some Chinese do know about it, and when I brought it up in conversation they looked like they just seen a ghost; a polite smile and a nod and the subject was quickly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Agree.

I found something that was absolutely incredulous and mind-blowing... most Chinese have no clue about Tiananmen Square; they just don't know it ever happened. This is true even now, in this great "information age" that we live in.

Some Chinese do know about it, and when I brought it up in conversation they looked like they just seen a ghost; a polite smile and a nod and the subject was quickly changed.
    Very inaccurate statement .
    Chinese , by law restrictions have NO RIGHTS to criticize their own government , so their "polite smile" was the sign of gentle , but perfect attempt to stop , or derailed such a uncomfortable for them question.
    To assure you , that these people , who are on top of another countries in education , know and found the better systems to use their intellectual weapons against enemies , applying much more lethal blows than guns. If you didn't know yet , what consequences of "information age" wars cost our treasury , get back to Pentagon's reports , where millions of highly classified files and US military secrets were stolen by Chinese teenagers for benefit of tactical leverage between our countries . This is also a subject of my study , which I can share with those , who might be interested .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Very inaccurate statement .
    Chinese , by law restrictions have NO RIGHTS to criticize their own government , so their "polite smile" was the sign of gentle , but perfect attempt to stop , or derailed such a uncomfortable for them question.
    To assure you , that these people , who are on top of another countries in education , know and found the better systems to use their intellectual weapons against enemies , applying much more lethal blows than guns. If you didn't know yet , what consequences of "information age" wars cost our treasury , get back to Pentagon's reports , where millions of highly classified files and US military secrets were stolen by Chinese teenagers for benefit of tactical leverage between our countries . This is also a subject of my study , which I can share with those , who might be interested .
    Not sure what you think is inaccurate; your interpretation of their "polite smile" is exactly the point I was trying to make; that was their way of derailing the conversation. As you may know China has a very restrictive internet filter controlled by their government, but many Chinese do travel internationally... and I wonder what they think when they see an unfiltered internet. I'm sure many think that stories like Tiananman are fictional propaganda created by the West.

Electronic espionage and theft is a battle that has been ongoing for quite some time... very very dangerous and potent indeed. Idk about Chinese teenagers lol but every major government in the world spends big money in this area. And not just for spying and stealing, but physical damage too, things like what Stuxnet did... a digital WEAPON.

Let's look at China's military budget and ponder if they think real guns and bombs still make a difference:

Just compare our spendings to astronomical depth

Since China's trade surplus hits new record as exports grow , they have enough our $$$ to increase military spendings . WE DO NOT !!! ... and that's the big problem .