Half helmet advice? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half helmet advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    Make sure to look at daytona. Not "mushroomy" at all.
    You don't like the mushroom look?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock View Post
    Old Ryder- since you have both the Bell Drifter and the Pit Boss, how would you compare them? Are they the same dimensions externally? Same fit? If they are, I might get the Drifter as its around $45 on clearance.
    Been a Bell guy for years. Style, weight and price all factor in my helmet choices. You probably bought the B because you liked the way it looked and to me the helmet is part of the package. The Drifter is larger and slighter heavier--more than the Pit Boss but not as heavy as the Scorpion. I bought it because I love the cool looks---and it was $50 at JP this year in Daytona. It sits higher on your head and is bigger around. Pit Boss has the neck curtain which I use a lot (even on the Shoei's) to keep the wind noise down where the Drifter just have pads over the ears. Last year the Bell 500 was $50 and , yea I got one of them too and gave it to my son in law. Bang for the buck, it is hard to beat Bell. And because they fit my noggin perfect--more oval shape. The Pit Boss is smaller, lighter and also has the drop down shield just like the Scorpion but that does not matter to me as I never use it. I never walk out of the house while it is light without sunglasses and I only wear good ones. Not just to look cool, but you only get one set of eyes and I guard them with cover and UV protection as much as I can. No Foster Grants--only Oakley, Costa and prescription lenses with every coating you can get. Sorry, but it is part of my OCD, anal retentive personality that I fight. Looking thru cheap plastic with a tinted coating that is not clear does harm to your eyes over the long run (my research) and only Shoei and Nolan have shields that I think are up to snuff. JMHO. Anyway, see for yourself from the pics. I have included a picture of some of my other choices. Also, as I said, I love the Shoei St Cruz--yea, you do see 2 of them. Don't ask.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bell Pit Boss

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Bell Pit Boss. It's adjustable and when you get it snug it won't bobble around on your head. Also has a pull down tinted eye shield if you forget or don't want to wear sunglasses. I love mine!

Another bonus is it has a removable cold weather wrap that covers your ears. Works great.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro, Noland N44, and a Shoei Neotec; when weather permits the Bell Pit Boss is what I wear. Finest half helmet I have ever worn...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2013 F6B Motor Trike Raptor

Does the helmet have to be DOT approved (does your state have a helmet law)? I live in Az where we done and I wear a helmet from headtrip helmets. I have had 2 and love them. That being said, I haven't used it on the ground if you know what I mean. I have taken a few rocks and large bugs off the noggin and no worse for wear!

http://www.headtriphelmets.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bweiner10 View Post
    Does the helmet have to be DOT approved (does your state have a helmet law)? I live in Az where we done and I wear a helmet from headtrip helmets. I have had 2 and love them. That being said, I haven't used it on the ground if you know what I mean. I have taken a few rocks and large bugs off the noggin and no worse for wear!

Oh wow; these are beautiful.

Shame they are not DOT approved. Whenever you cannot find a price on the website, my first thought is they must be expensive. You can even send them in for repair???????
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Shame they are not DOT approved. Whenever you cannot find a price on the website, my first thought is they must be expensive. You can even send them in for repair???????
    If you hit the "place order" tab, the prices show up. $124-$144 or so for a half helmet. They really are beautiful! If they were DOT approved, I would likely try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bweiner10 View Post

They really look great! We have a helmet law in NE, otherwise. I would likely try one.

Here's a legit question. What's the point of wearing a helmet that's not DOT? Just to fake out the po po while styling???

Style