Half helmet advice? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Half helmet advice?

SUPER SEER.
    2013 Honda F6B #374 (darksided)
    2004 Honda NRX1800 RUNE #274
    2008 Can Am Spyder #21 (basically factory darksided. )
    1989 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
    1992 Yamaha FJ1200

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Here's a legit question. What's the point of wearing a helmet that's not DOT? Just to fake out the po po while styling???

My thoughts exactly. But I will say this. Riding is a gamble, especially with all the cell phones out there distracting a large percentage of the drivers. A good helmet offers some protection, but the best helmet EVER is no sure fire insurance that you will live in a bad crash--- or worse, that you will live and, ----------------------------well, you know.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    My thoughts exactly. But I will say this. Riding is a gamble, especially with all the cell phones out there distracting a large percentage of the drivers. A good helmet offers some protection, but the best helmet EVER is no sure fire insurance that you will live in a bad crash--- or worse, that you will live and, ----------------------------well, you know.
    So very true.Hell at my age I can hurt myself getting up from my Lazyboy!When it's your time well it's your time.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Here's a legit question. What's the point of wearing a helmet that's not DOT? Just to fake out the po po while styling???
    That's a good question I have asked myself. I think, for me, it's a level of comfort thing. I rode for a long time in a helmet law state before moving to Az, so I do like to have something on my head. The head trip helmet supposedly does provide dot level of protection, just without the thickness of a dot approved helmet, so it does not earn a dot sticker. Personally, I'm hopping not to bounce my head off the pavement to find out!!! Also keeps the wife happy

One of the things I have learned the hard---or shall I say--the expensive way, is that the weight has a lot to do with the comfort. When I was younger it did not matter. But as I get older, it becomes more and more noticeable. I love my brief trips to "non helmet" states where I throw caution to the wind and bare my "non DOT approved noggin". I have bought a number of helmets and find my neck gets tired--and then sore. One of them was the HJC BT Max. Great helmet, but like putting a concrete block on top of your head. Wore it one time for about an hour and then it had to go. Whenever I look at a new lid, I always check the weight-- anything between 900-1300 grams is acceptable and wonderful and then I look at the style. Some others that I like in addition to Bell is the Vega--or Stealth (same company but different product lines).
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

About 25 % of all head injuries are occurring below the level of the protection offered by a half helmit, that said if it's hot enough I still wear one. Anything between me and the tarmac is still better than just my crunchy cranium.
    ss^,
    Ken