Anyone have this problem? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have this problem?

Have not seen critters, but webs seem to keep growing. Does not affect light projection, just knowing that they are there is a bother. I know that spiders prey on flying insects, and I have had a few major bug splattered rides that I have lagged on cleaning off the bug guts, maybe these guys are waiting for their next meal. Just a thought. Regardless the housings have to come off, and I have to find something to sweep the webs out.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I understand how Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps differ and produce light, but don't see how that explains what appears to be real spider webs to be floating inside the housing.
    ... because heat , caused by increased HID radiation is greater , than thermal resistance of lens's plastic glass. This is an effect of increased temperature , causing micro cracks , viewed as a "spider web" . Usually spiders crafting different art , than presented in those pictures.

By the way . If real spider ( or two in both housings ) left its "web" inside , I assume their dead bodies should be visible somewhere , unless they simultanously "walked away" from both lenses .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    ... because heat , caused by increased HID radiation is greater , than thermal resistance of lens's plastic glass. This is an effect of increased temperature , causing micro cracks , viewed as a "spider web" . Usually spiders crafting different art , than presented in those pictures.

By the way . If real spider ( or two in both housings ) left its "web" inside , I assume their dead bodies should be visible somewhere , unless they simultanously "walked away" from both lenses .
    Hummm... probably so, I would just like to see them in person. Or one spider that has a way inside both????????????

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    53driver what brand of cover did you use.
    These. Simple, inexpensive protection for the stock lamp.
    http://wingstuff.com/products/3289-c...l1800-goldwing

The picture is misleading - they are crystal clear.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

53driver I had a set of those but they rubbed the center of the light so I purchase
    some from C Baily and they fit perfectly.

External protection from elements can be needed , but Ebonie's explanation of internal effect is not relevant . Don't forget , that those covers have also counteracting results to the light's effectiveness , limiting intensity of its brightness . It's a delicate balance between , what you gain vs. what you lose .

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    53driver I had a set of those but they rubbed the center of the light so I purchase
    some from C Baily and they fit perfectly.
    Interesting. Mine have at least 1/4" clearance at the nearest point.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    External protection from elements can be needed , but Ebonie's explanation of internal effect is not relevant . Don't forget , that those covers have also counteracting results to the light's effectiveness , limiting intensity of its brightness . It's a delicate balance between , what you gain vs. what you lose .
    Understood. No worries.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Am I the only one who has seen plastic do this? Your headlight housings are toast, sorry.

Heat could very well be the culprit, but to proffer other theories, pressure or a force applied to the headlights may also do this. Have you ever had someone push on the headlights to help you back up?

Sadly, the headlight units are about $230 apiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I don't know about anyone else having that issue, but that creeps me the hell out. Speaking as an arachnophobic here. If that occurred in my bike, I'd be trading it in that day! And the dealer can come pick it up....yuck....

Are you coming to the Rally? Be weary of practical jokers who may be reading this