Just curious.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    +2

Agree 100% but this is still an interesting topic to discuss. Shooter, I also agree about the ABS thing.

If you're in a panic braking situation where a real threat exists of the front tire breaking loose and the bike going down, I'm sorry to inform everyone, ABS is not gonna save you.
    George . It's something mysterious about ABSs in Goldwings at all . My local dealer is claiming , that 90% of GW buyers are demanding absence of it and do not want to spent $1,000 for this option . Any logic to such a requests , or just the way to save some bucks ?

shooter
    Guys , this is just old Shooter talking , nobody has ever proven to me that ABS will stop a vehicle faster than no abs. On wet pavement , maybe , if you don't know how to handle your machine. I've drug the rear tire on the B before. She really squats. Have any of you ever had an ABS moment in your vehicle? That's where you are on the brakes hard , all of a sudden you realize you are going to make it , then the abs releases pressure on the system. Your butt puckers and all of a sudden your not sure. Pull a trailer behind a truck enough and it will happen. When I pull a heavy trailer I pull the ABS fuse on my F150. You shouldn't do that , but I do. Cause I've had an ABS moment and dont want to have another.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    George . It's something mysterious about ABSs in Goldwings at all . My local dealer is claiming , that 90% of GW buyers are demanding absence of it and do not want to spent $1,000 for this option . Any logic to such a requests , or just the way to save some bucks ?
    Interesting Les. The average age of the GW rider may have something to do with this statistic; riders who learned on non-ABS bikes may prefer that.

Personally, I don't want an electronic disconnect between me and the ground... whether it's ABS or something like traction control. These are much more useful on cars IMO, but on bikes I think they can give a false sense of security.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Guys , this is just old Shooter talking , nobody has ever proven to me that ABS will stop a vehicle faster than no abs. On wet pavement , maybe , if you don't know how to handle your machine. I've drug the rear tire on the B before. She really squats. Have any of you ever had an ABS moment in your vehicle? That's where you are on the brakes hard , all of a sudden you realize you are going to make it , then the abs releases pressure on the system. Your butt puckers and all of a sudden your not sure. Pull a trailer behind a truck enough and it will happen. When I pull a heavy trailer I pull the ABS fuse on my F150. You shouldn't do that , but I do. Cause I've had an ABS moment and dont want to have another.
    I've had several ABS moments in my car... and I feel it's a useful feature in it (the car). One of the mechanical reactions is a SHARP kickback and then shuddering of the brake pedal; I'd rather not experience that on the bike. If you're riding a bike in a way where ABS kicks in in the rain, you're over riding the conditions.

ABS is most effective on dry surfaces. On wet surfaces there's no guarantee that it can PREVENT a tire slide.

In comparison to your analogy , on the dry pavements I found NO DIFFERENCE in panic , or semi-panic braking . Previously owned and ridden BMW's have had ABSs and I use to accept them , because they were there already and I had no choice . Personally , riding B , I feel "safer" , putting more trust to my skills , than to devices causing false state of mind . Additionally , I try to ride only , when is no rain . I've been already in bad storms , so I'm familiar with wet conditions , but adjusting speed was necessary . Common sense above all .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    In comparison to your analogy , on the dry pavements I found NO DIFFERENCE in panic , or semi-panic braking . Previously owned and ridden BMW's have had ABSs and I use to accept them , because they were there already and I had no choice . Personally , riding B , I feel "safer" , putting more trust to my skills , than to devices causing false state of mind . Additionally , I try to ride only , when is no rain . I've been already in bad storms , so I'm familiar with wet conditions , but adjusting speed was necessary . Common sense above all .
    AMAZING

You and Shooter agree on something

AMAZING

Because he wasn't able to shoot me , yet ....

I love you guys , anyway . Sometimes and if necessary , need to challenge those , who like to "disagree" .

And most of us didn't pay $20,000 for the bike. I paid $16,995 out the door. No way I'm trading for abs and reverse.
    Very good point. For the European Version you can ADD $10K to your out of the door price. I personally don't think ABS and reverse is worth this kind of price.
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

shooter
    AMAZING

Hey , that don't mean we are sleeping together.

AMAZING

He wants to hear my confession first