How many miles do you ride per day? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many miles do you ride per day?

You're getting some great advice it seems to me. I'm almost 60, out of shape, and have never ridden long distances. 400 miles is my comfort zone on my other bikes. 500 pushed. I'm thinking 600-700 should be fairly easy on the F6B and it's amazing enough that I've thought of doing the reverse of your trip -- Fort Collins - Memphis as an iron butt ride just to say I've done one.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Man I love long rides. I just got back from 2100 miles. Took the GoldWing on this trip as I just got my new F6B but on my old F6B did a 2000 mile long mountains run with no issues. I put a taller screen on mine so the wind noise is quieter and it's not as tiring with all the wind. I have no issues going 600-700 miles in a day and still could ride more.

I have learned though to bring a bottle of water with me to stay hydrated. I have the Kury cubby that replaces the lockable glove box and a 16oz water bottle fits perfect (20 will too with a squeeze). I ride to about 150 miles then down the water bottle that way when you have to empty the bikes empty too. Perfect timing. You know it's the little things lol.

Carry the right gear with you. I can't emphasize that enough. When the sun goes down it gets cold, bring the right gear. Just for good measure, bring the right gear. Ride comfortable that's the most important. When it's chilly be warm when it's warm ride cool. It takes up some room but get the good stuff. I HIGHLY recommend a freeze out jacket. They are warm to about 50 degrees by themselves and they pack nice and small. Plus if you put a sweater on over it, since it's thin too, you can ride even cooler with no issues. Bring some gloves, maybe some over pants. Even rain pants work good as over pants when it's cool out. Dual purpose stuff like that.

Get the bag liners they will make your life so much easier, can't express that enough. I used them on my Wing and F6.

Get Highway pegs. The riding position on these bikes is good but will tire your knees out, stretching also moves the pressure around on your bum so you don't get sore. Key is to not get sore, once your there nothing feels comfy. Move around a bit, it's ok.

Bring some good music. Nothing makes the miles go by like some good tunes.

As you'll see most of this stuff is pretty cheap to do, music, warm/cool clothes, bag liners and some hydration. Good to go. Oh and a good windshield I don't care who you are 1000 miles with that 3" screen will wear your ass out lol.

Enjoy it. If you don't you won't want to do it again and if your like me there's no better way to take a road trip them on a motorcycle and there aren't many bikes out there as comfy as ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    Man I love long rides. I just got back from 2100 miles. Took the GoldWing on this trip as I just got my new F6B but on my old F6B did a 2000 mile long mountains run with no issues. I put a taller screen on mine so the wind noise is quieter and it's not as tiring with all the wind. I have no issues going 600-700 miles in a day and still could ride more.

I have learned though to bring a bottle of water with me to stay hydrated. I have the Kury cubby that replaces the lockable glove box and a 16oz water bottle fits perfect (20 will too with a squeeze). I ride to about 150 miles then down the water bottle that way when you have to empty the bikes empty too. Perfect timing. You know it's the little things lol.

Carry the right gear with you. I can't emphasize that enough. When the sun goes down it gets cold, bring the right gear. Just for good measure, bring the right gear. Ride comfortable that's the most important. When it's chilly be warm when it's warm ride cool. It takes up some room but get the good stuff. I HIGHLY recommend a freeze out jacket. They are warm to about 50 degrees by themselves and they pack nice and small. Plus if you put a sweater on over it, since it's thin too, you can ride even cooler with no issues. Bring some gloves, maybe some over pants. Even rain pants work good as over pants when it's cool out. Dual purpose stuff like that.

Get the bag liners they will make your life so much easier, can't express that enough. I used them on my Wing and F6.

Get Highway pegs. The riding position on these bikes is good but will tire your knees out, stretching also moves the pressure around on your bum so you don't get sore. Key is to not get sore, once your there nothing feels comfy. Move around a bit, it's ok.

Bring some good music. Nothing makes the miles go by like some good tunes.

As you'll see most of this stuff is pretty cheap to do, music, warm/cool clothes, bag liners and some hydration. Good to go. Oh and a good windshield I don't care who you are 1000 miles with that 3" screen will wear your ass out lol.

Enjoy it. If you don't you won't want to do it again and if your like me there's no better way to take a road trip them on a motorcycle and there aren't many bikes out there as comfy as ours.
    A man after my own heart +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Some good feedback here for a new F6B owner/rider. The most important thing is to test your own limits slowly. After you have a few miles on the this bike or any other and the fit becomes more comfortable you can start to ramp up time and distance if that is important to you. Work some spare time into any trip...you may need it for any number of reasons from bad weather to a flat tire. If you gain on your schedule then you just have some extra time to test the flavour of the local beer.

Like many here, I used to do a lot of big mile ((Km actually) days.....but now on a cross country trip a big day is 600 miles and tootin around locally I probably just do 2 or 3 hrs.....that all depends on what there is going on to stop and see and who is around to stop and talk with.

tink