Had a brother go down today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a brother go down today

Had a brother go down today

Was out on a ride today. Guys wanted me to take them on a particularly crooked road. We we're riding at a fairly slow pace. I had some not real experienced riders with me. Well, we got stuck behind a slow moving car for a few miles and my friend, who has been on this road before with me, decides to go on around the car. I heard him rev up his Harley behind me and I immediately knew what he was going to do. He came on around me and the car in front. I surveyed the situation and knew we would be coming to an end of this road pretty soon. I went ahead and followed him. I watched him through a couple of turns and I was thinking he needed to slow down by the way he was handling through those turns. Sure enough, he came around a corner and blew it, panicked and side swiped a new Chevy 4x4 pick up. He totaled his bike, did a lot of damage to the truck and his riding season is over. He left in an ambulance with broken bones in his left foot. He's doing alright given the foot . We got his bike back to a shop, but I know it's totaled. Frame is bent among other things. I watched it all unfold right in front of me and not a damn thing I could do to stop it. Guys respect the corners, learn,practice proper cornering techniques .
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Hope your friend is alright, thank god, it could have been worst. A lesson learned the hard way.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
    In time he will heal and hopefully remember that patience truly is a virtue.

Doug

Thanks guys, he's in good spirits, A little medicated. Thank God is right, it could have been worse. He's going to have a hard time living this down. Everyone is behind him and glad he's ok, but now the infinite teasing begins. Thankful he is able to be around to still joke about it.

Was he ticketed or anything?
    Sometimes fighting with the insurance companies,courts,etc. is more painful than the actual physical pain.
    Every one of us has made a mistake while riding a motorcycle.
    Some get lucky and some do not.

Doug

shooter
    Jimmy I've seen this before. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. And like you said its all unfolding and you're helpless. I hope your buddy makes a full recovery and rides again. For all of us on the forum give him our best.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Was he ticketed or anything?
    Sometimes fighting with the insurance companies,courts,etc. is more painful than the actual physical pain.
    Every one of us has made a mistake while riding a motorcycle.
    Some get lucky and some do not.

Doug
    No ticket.Plus the guy he hit was very nice and concerned. We helped him change his front tire. The bike took a hole out of the side of his left front tire among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Jimmy I've seen this before. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. And like you said its all unfolding and you're helpless. I hope your buddy makes a full recovery and rides again. For all of us on the forum give him our best.
    Thanks Part of me thinks he was trying to impress me, but as I was watching him through a couple of previous corners, I was pretty concerned.

I'm just glad he's all right and the truck owner isn't too terribly inconvenienced.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Glad to hear he will be alright. Man has got know his limitations.

Last night coming home in my cage from a HS graduation in a pouring rain, at dark on a 5 wide highway just north of Houston, I am doing 65 in the far left lane. Told the wife to hang on because you are not going to believe what is fixing to pass us. Coming about 75-80 right next to me is a HD dude, no helmet tucked behind his windscreen. I have no idea how he was capable of driving. The wife was becoming ill she was so scared for the guy. Another minute passes and a 883, no windscreen comes flying past us doing 85-90. He had a brain bucket. I have never realized brazen idiocy on a motorcycle like this. I can only figure they robbed a bank. Scary stuff.

Best of luck to your friend, lesson painfully learned. I only try to impress my wife, and it never works, so I quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver