OMG, trying to decide on a helmet..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG, trying to decide on a helmet.....

+1
    On Cycle Gear.

We have one. They have a 707 Vendetta 3 with drop down. They are DOT/ECE, $150. Felt pretty good, just not a mainstream name brand. Then they have the stupid expensive Shoeis and Arais.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

I have the RPHA and love it, very comfortable with great ventilation. The pin lock system is great for not fogging up. A little pricey but IMHO is worth it.

Rich

I saw the RPHA Zappy, Cage, and Combust graphics on the bay for $230.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

IMHO the best bang for your buck in a good quality helmet that is priced very low for what you get is the HJC CL-17. I have one and it is a snug but comfortable fit, quiet and has the Snell rating. I bought mine with an optional pin insert for around $128.

Read this review and it may help you decide.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...-17/review.htm

If you have ever been at or seen a motorcycle wreck you will know that the rider usually smacks into his windshield/handlebars and the object/vehicle in front as he is thrown through the air after impact. He also may fly over the vehicle and do a face first into the asphalt as he skids on his face to a stop. This usually results in major trauma to the jaw area and chest so a full face helmet can provide some protection for this area that you will not get with a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. I have over 20 years as a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT and have seen some nasty stuff that makes me wonder why I still ride a motorcycle.

Remember, it is not if you are ever going to have a motorcycle accident but when you are going to have a motorcycle accident. Or as someone else has stated, dress for the crash, not the ride. Get a helmet with a Snell rating.

Ride safe.

X

Definitely putting weight on the Snell rating. Won't consider a modular as I'm not convinced they will stay closed on impact. None of the Cycle Gear inexpensive helmets that I saw were Snell. Many are DOT/ECE. Thanks for that link, checked that out earlier. Will reread.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    My biggest issue with drop downs is the line at the edge of the shade. Never seems to fall where I want. Glasses are on my orbits.

We don't have farms. We have gold factories, chickens that lay diamonds, silver spun from the hair of angels, TEXAS Tea and women from horizon to horizon. You must earn a pass to come in here.
    Yeah and you can't see a lot if that shyt right now cause its under water. I live on a big hill in MO. Its looking real good right now.

X, you have a crazy awesome set of roads right by you, so that probably doesn't help. I also know that riding on "the edge" and not expecting someone in a car to do something stupid leads to many, many motorcycle accidents. Back in my "early" days (92-95), I had someone try to chase me down, someone back in front of me, and carelessly ran over a huge section of broken bridge concrete because I was checking out a girl in a car at 70mph. Somehow I didn't come off the bike..... the Good Lord had His hand in it for sure.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Yeah and you can't see a lot if that shyt right now cause its under water. I live on a big hill in MO. Its looking real good right now.

I can only retort with LOL. Now let this man find a helmet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    X, you have a crazy awesome set of roads right by you, so that probably doesn't help. I also know that riding on "the edge" and not expecting someone in a car to do something stupid leads to many, many motorcycle accidents. Back in my "early" days (92-95), I had someone try to chase me down, someone back in front of me, and carelessly ran over a huge section of broken bridge concrete because I was checking out a girl in a car at 70mph. Somehow I didn't come off the bike..... the Good Lord had His hand in it for sure.

The Good Lord has His hand in a lot more than we even realize so always be thankful.

Yes, we have some awesome motorcycle roads in our area and my fire district includes Highway 181 that goes up the mountain to Jonas Ridge/Linville Falls area and that is where we have had some extremely bad and fatal motorcycle wrecks. Highway 181 is an awesome ride going up the hill where you can scrape pegs and let the sparks fly without losing control but coming down is where most people let the motorcycle get ahead of them and they wipe out.

Anyway, I wish you the best in your helmet search and as always, ride safe.

X