WIP Harley King Tour Pak Install - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP Harley King Tour Pak Install

Quote Originally Posted by sksfox View Post
    I am manufacturing a custom tour pack.
    After seeing the one HD done by HIFLYER decided to make my owm.
    Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in a post, the sandwich method.2 steel plates and billett aluminum standoffs.
    Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches, hinges,and mounting hardware(It can be painted to color match)
    Your bike looks like it was a Goldwing converted to a F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Don't misconstrue what I am saying.
    What I am saying is by installing a trunk you are taking away the very reason a F6B is built the way it is.
    It was intentionally designed NOT to have a trunk and NOT to be just another gold Wing.
    I think the OP has done and awesome job by the way and I congratulate him on the job he did.

Doug
    If you think my bike looks like just another gold wing with my chopped trunk installed, I'd have to say you're wrong. However, I could also say that any F6 with a big old windshield like you have looks like just another gold wing, it sure as heck DID NOT come with a big old sail on the front, or a trunk on the back. It's all about options man! And I got 'em.

Sail on the front?
    That's funny.
    Mine is only 13" from the top of the fairing.
    It is no where near a sail.
    If you lived up here in the Midwest farm lands you would understand that it is a necessity,not just another option.
    If I didn't have pheasants,grasshoppers,quail,bugs,bees,other types of birds,deer,coyote,etc. constantly hitting my windshield or walking out in front of me,I would still have the short windshield on.
    I could care less actually what another guy does.
    I was just stating that putting trunks on a F6B for any reason makes these bikes almost no different than a stock Gold Wing.
    I am not going to change my opinion any more than I expect anyone else to change theirs.

Doug

I think that all of us prefer to have no trunk. But since Honda decided not to add the other inch to the saddlebag covers that are needed to house a full face helmet without damaging the lid you may need a trunk.

My question is has anyone found a way to get their trunk to be quick detach or quick removal? How did you mount it? If you did get it to work how does the bike look with the trunk removed? Is there any mounting hardware left after removal?

I have my trunk mounted but it was such a pain to get it mounted for my trip 8 weeks ago that I have never removed it.

I think I am going to re-do the way my tour pack is mounted. I used the show chrome luggage rack with a (dark grey almost black) nylon cutting board from target. I put bolts with washers through from the bottom up / through the cutting board / through the luggage rack / through the tour pack / with washers and nuts inside the bottom of the tour pack.

This works but was a pain in the ass to install. I would hate to remove and then re-install. It is not what I call quick detachable in the ease of use sense of the words. Maybe if I relocate the holes in the tour pack. I used the holes that were already in the tour pack. It is a Hard Leather Harley Davidson tour pack from my Fatboy. I know this is a problem for some of you. But the tour pack was expensive and it works very well. I prefer the leather covered tour pack because it looks good on the bike and doesn't scratch.

I need advice on how to do this better / more quick detach and re-attach.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    ... a big old sail on the front, ...
    Attachment 14543Attachment 14544

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I need advice on how to do this better / more quick detach and re-attach.
    Steve
    My install and others just use the 4 bolt holes that the luggage rack would bolt to. Remove the 4 shorter bolts and backrest and install tour pak with 4 longer bolts. Reverse process to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Agreed..

Doug

Sail on the front?
    That's funny.
    Mine is only 13" from the top of the fairing.
    It is no where near a sail.
    If you lived up here in the Midwest farm lands you would understand that it is a necessity,not just another option.
    If I didn't have pheasants,grasshoppers,quail,bugs,bees,other types of birds,deer,coyote,etc. constantly hitting my windshield or walking out in front of me,I would still have the short windshield on.
    I could care less actually what another guy does.
    I was just stating that putting trunks on a F6B for any reason makes these bikes almost no different than a stock Gold Wing.
    I am not going to change my opinion any more than I expect anyone else to change theirs.

Doug
    I respect your opinion Doug, and at the same time, I'm one of those guys that do what I want and couldn't care less what others think, just like you.Truth be known, I didn't buy this bike because it didn't look like a full wing, and there's nothing wrong with the look of the full wing.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I respect your opinion Doug, and at the same time, I'm one of those guys that do what I want and couldn't care less what others think, just like you.Truth be known, I didn't buy this bike because it didn't look like a full wing, and there's nothing wrong with the look of the full wing.
    hiflyer,
    I agree with that statement 100%.
    No harm,no foul.
    ride safe

Doug

The work is superb.
    No doubt about that.
    I just don't understand why people do this to a F6B.
    If all you guys want tour packs on these,why didn't you just buy a Gold Wing?
    The uniqueness of this motorcycle is that it doesn't have all the extra stuff a Wing has.
    Sort of defeats the purpose of a F6B doesn't it?

Go ahead.
    Start attacking.

Doug
    Ditto me too...there flat6, I finally agree with you.