Oil filter and drain bolt sealing washer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil filter and drain bolt sealing washer

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Then again, you could eliminate the crush washer altogether by installing one of these:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/F106SW-Adap...-14mm-1.5.html

You might want to shop around for the best price. The Fumoto Qwik Valve makes oil changes even easier and less messy.
    I just cannot see the value in those valves when you only use it every 4-8 thousand miles. It is just not that hard to take a bolt out of the oil pan to me. JMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    I just cannot see the value in those valves when you only use it every 4-8 thousand miles. It is just not that hard to take a bolt out of the oil pan to me. JMHO.
    That's fine but it's also not that hard to install the Fumoto and you only have to do that once .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That's fine but it's also not that hard to install the Fumoto and you only have to do that once .
    Just one observation about the Fumoto! Due to its extended length in comparison to the OEM drain plug, the valve, IMHO, becomes a "lever". Should the valve end come into contact with a solid object i.e. rock, curb, truck tire debris it could possibly snap off leaving only the threaded boss remaining. I personally don't have a close-up pic of the Fumoto for comparison! Maybe someone has a pic to compare to this pic of the OEM drain plug which clearly shows how it's "tucked" into the lower crankcase. If you have a belly pan then it wouldn't be a issue!

000_0467.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Just one observation about the Fumoto! Due to its extended length in comparison to the OEM drain plug, the valve, IMHO, becomes a "lever". Should the valve end come into contact with a solid object i.e. rock, curb, truck tire debris it could possibly snap off leaving only the threaded boss remaining. I personally don't have a close-up pic of the Fumoto for comparison! Maybe someone has a pic to compare to this pic of the OEM drain plug which clearly shows how it's "tucked" into the lower crankcase. If you have a belly pan then it wouldn't be a issue!

Attachment 14850
    Possibly, Bob, but due to the valve being positioned horizontally and not hanging down, it seems like a very remote possibility to me. I do agree, however, a belly pan seems like good added insurance and personally, I think a belly pan is a good idea regardless of whether or not you have a valve installed. Really, considering where the drain plug is located, if you hit it, or a valve if it's installed there, I believe you will have much bigger problems to be concerned with than simply snapping off the valve...just my opinion, of course.
    Ken (Hornblower)