6 speed transmission - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 speed transmission

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_A View Post
    I'm happy with 5; I just wish they'd improve the shift QUALITY. These things can clunk like an old /5 BMW! 6 may be nice, but 4 valve heads with hydraulic lifters and 150hp would be nicer
    I'm with you on the 150 HP. You can never have too much under the cowl.

With the torque this engine makes I don't think it needs it..... but I did grow up riding bikes with four speeds and had cars with two speeds LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_A View Post
    I'm happy with 5; I just wish they'd improve the shift QUALITY. These things can clunk like an old /5 BMW! 6 may be nice, but 4 valve heads with hydraulic lifters and 150hp would be nicer
    What kind of oil are you using?..Some oils make the shifts more pronounced/noisy and some seem to make the trans shift better and with less noise...I recently switched from Honda HP4 to Rotella T-6 full synthetic and it does shift a little less noisy and smoother to me...The Victory Vision I had was really loud between gears and "clunked a lot when shifting".....JMHO

Gear ratios

Just minor complaints, but I do like a 5 speed, but feel the final gear should have been somewhat taller, or higher. (and I find it difficult to get my toe under the shifter too) This engine has plenty of torque and power with is broad deliverly for a higher final ratio, that down shifting on hills wouldn't be an issue. I feel like the ratio between 3 & 4th is too close and is where it could have been made up for a higher final gear. This 6 cylinder runs higher rpms in top gear at highways speeds than my 1900 Stratoliner Vee twin, though the motor doesn't seem to be bothered by higher rpms, the throttle remains alittle too crispy/choppy for ultimate comfort on the hwy. Just thinking

5th gear is already overdrive. The 5 speed is fine, I don't think a taller gear is needed, I don't have to downshift to pass or go up a hill like the Harley 6 speeds do.

If the "6" had a six speed, everyone would be clamoring for a 7th gear.

I'm running Mobile 1 10/40 motorcycle oil. It helped the shifting a bit. It was pretty bad for the first few thousand miles, but has gotten noticeably better as I approach my next oil change. Probably needed to be run in, but I don't recall my 09 Wing being that clunky at first....

Some folks would complain if you were hanging them with a new rope.lol ......Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

The transmission in my 6 doesn't shift as smoothly as I expected. Seems very"catchy". Is quiet but takes as much effort as my Harleys. Hope this gets better as it breaks in. Only 4300 miles so far. More on point, I think a little taller final drive would be ok. The engine has enough guts to pull it and could help mileage.

DCT 6 gearbox

Have you ever tested Honda double clutch transmission ? I think this is the only right answer to the gear issue in this kind of bike. I'm gonna update my 2013 F6B 32000 km in odometer to new one when DCT is available.