IMPORTANT SAFETY CONCERN - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMPORTANT SAFETY CONCERN

Front wheel lug nuts?

Good luck checking the front lug nuts, since there aren't any! Or do you mean you are going to check the bolts that hold the brake rotors to the front hub?

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Good luck checking the front lug nuts, since there aren't any! Or do you mean you are going to check the bolts that hold the brake rotors to the front hub?
    Um... no... I am going to check the pinch bolts silly

Never said front lug nuts... you nut....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Excuse me!!

Will - wasn't specifically responding to you (check the thread, there are other references to the "front nuts"). After all, you never specified the pinch bolts, or any other fastener - just "up front" (after referencing the rear lug nuts (which are actually "bolts")). Could have been the axle nut, could have been the triple clamp pinch bolts or even the brake caliper bolts. Who knew?
    But WTH, let's call someone out in the style you seem to use a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Will - wasn't specifically responding to you (check the thread, there are other references to the "front nuts"). After all, you never specified the pinch bolts, or any other fastener - just "up front" (after referencing the rear lug nuts (which are actually "bolts")). Could have been the axle nut, could have been the triple clamp pinch bolts or even the brake caliper bolts. Who knew?
    But WTH, let's call someone out in the style you seem to use a lot!
    Ha!

I'll check ALL the damned nuts now... at least put a wrench or socket on each one and at least give it a snug.

And....we'll grow thin skinned folks into thick skinned folks. This country has gone to hell with all of the PC liberal indoctrination. A little tough love is good for the soul. If one can take it.

Not many can anymore.... sadly.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

All this poor service talk lately is just par for this industry. I had to check to be sure I was not on the Harley forum for a minute.

Wife bought a new Shadow at a near by dealer, rear drive was 2 oz low. I even told them to check it based on comments from here and my rear drive on my F6B being low from the factory. They refused and said they are filled at the factory. Got the bike home filled the rear drive, two side seat bolts were missing, I took it for a ride and heard a noise on the front, a bolt was missing from the retainer for the front brake line.
    A friend bought a new F6B and shortly after getting it, coolant was running out of the bike. Dealer repaired an "improperly placed hose clamp". Two days in the shop. Upon installing his cruise control I found many items not put back together correctly, and even tabs that were broken, and missing clips and screws.

NO ONE touches my vehicles for service period. Too many horror stories to count in my lifetime. I'm sure there are some good shops and mechanics out there but I damn sure haven't found them....

Competence

Been doing my own wrenching on my cycles and autos for longer than I can remember! That said I have a well equipped garage with more tools than one can imagine. Neat and clean, the tools are organized and readily available for just about any task I tackle (F6B Air Cleaner Included). In my vast collection of tools there are no less than four different size "clicker torque wrenches". They are, IMHO, the most important items in my collection. Upon purchase of a cycle/vehicle one of the first things I acquire is the Factory Service Manuals. Having detailed info immediately available on all repair procedures is "priceless" as is the "torque specifications" for all fasteners!

Whenever I visit a major dealership service department, I make it a point too observe the array of tools mechanics are using and there are rarely any occasions a "torque wrench" is in sight I don't care how good a mechanic thinks he is at "massaging" a fastener/bolt in place but without the right tool he's guessing and pi$$ing into the wind.

Dealership Service Bays are about "Profit", plain and simple. In the case of cycles, new vehicles are uncrated, given a quick wash down and maybe some simple assembly of the seat and front wheel. Fluids, in my personal experiences, are a afterthought by the mechanic as there's a assumption that the factory "topped it off". When they do manage to fill the rear/engine oils they "overfill".

Owning many cycles over the years I only returned to the dealer on one occasion for a "Supposedly" 600 mile First Service! Paying $160+ dollars for a 4 quart oil and filter change and then have the motor "puke" oil from one of the filters (Suzuki M-109) because of a "overfill" convinced me that if you want it "done right" "do it yourself".

In ending this "rant", I feel for the folks who won't tackle the easiest/simple task of oil/filter changes and have to depend and more importantly, trust the competency of some gent getting "minimum wage" and that really doesn't give a "Rats Ass" about some customers machine

"Dealership Service Bays are about "Profit", plain and simple. In the case of cycles, new vehicles are uncrated, given a quick wash down and maybe some simple assembly of the seat and front wheel. Fluids, in my personal experiences, are a afterthought by the mechanic as there's a assumption that the factory "topped it off". When they do manage to fill the rear/engine oils they "overfill".

I worked at a Honda shop for a couple of years, ( 86-88 ) on my days off, and put together most of the units that went out the door, from ATV's to Goldwings ...
    Bobs right, wash them off and send them out the door..... I don't remember the "comebacks" like we have today.....just sayin....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

After I got "out-sourced" by another company after spending 30 years with Ford, I needed a job and got a sales job at a major bike dealer in Michigan selling mostly new bikes...Only worked there about a year from 1999-2000 before I could not stand it anymore...I never once saw a new bike get "checked/serviced" by any so-called "techs" or anything done but taken from the crate, cleaned up a little, windshield put on in some cases and bike pushed to the showroom floor...It was "frightening" how lousy their service department was and how little the "snot-nosed" immature and totally "inept" people they had as service "techs" released bikes to customers that in many, if not most, cases left the service department in worse shape than when they came in....It really turned me against most Honda dealers and especially those that carried multi-line products....The same un-trained motorcycle guy worked on a bike one minute and then a jet-ski the next and then a boat, or ATV....Just an old "rant" that left a very bad taste in mouth for a long time.....At least, for now, I have found a Honda dealer that, so far, I trust and that has given me great service and repairs.....Ride safe