Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
This rear shock pre-load adjuster bothers me. WHY ? Because it is NOT the correct one for this bike. Period.

After having tried several different settings, from half-way...to one quarter way...to one ten way...I just coleted my ride down to Redding, Cal to have my seat done, and the entire ride I had it set at 2 clicks...one full turn...out from the lowest setting. It was even a little bit firm there. I will adjust it today down to only 1 click...a half turn out from the lowest setting possible.

So, you tell me...if a shock pre-load adjuster has a total travel of 19 full turns, or 38 clicks, and we are using it at 1 click, or maybe 2 clicks...and those that have tried it at 6 clicks or up to 15 clicks have all found it to be toooooooooo firm, then in reality we are only able to use the lowest 10 % of the adjustibility of this pre-load adjuster.

That means, the remaining 90 % of the pre-load adjuster is of no use to us. To me, that indicates that they have used the WRONG pre-load adjuster on this bike. We should be able to use up to 50 % of more of the pre-load adjusters range...not the lowest 10%.

Miles,

Low is firm and high is soft. The high and low are referring to dampening rate, not the firmness. If you have a high dampening rate, then the ride is softer because the dampening rate is faster. Which means the wheel is able to move with less restriction. Low is firm because it is slowing down the dampening. Read in owners manual. Bumpy road = hi and smooth road = low.

Think about it like this. If the piston inside the shock can move faster, this translates to a smoother ride because it is absorbing the bumps. If the piston is not allowed to move freely , then this translates to a firm ride. Dampening rate is sometimes also spoken in terms of frequency. How that piston moves at speed is like a frequency. Well truth be told it is a spring frequency and dampening is just controlling spring frequency (rate).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Brian