How do you clean bugs off your F6B? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you clean bugs off your F6B?

Most GOOD quality waxes or urethanes will make it much easier to get the bugs off. Even ones that have set there awhile.

These days, I use Klassé All-In-One cleaner Polish followed with the Klassé Sealant (Polyurethane) and have found it to be the best for me. BUT.....prior to switching to Klassé about five years ago, I used nothing but Zymol waxes (specifically, their 'Titanium' wax). Used it on vehicles and a LOT of other things as well. Even my helmets.

As coincidence would have it, just last night I went down to the closet where I store a lot of old such stuff and pulled out my old Shoei full face from the 80's. Found that it had a lot of bugs on it...been sitting there with that crud on it for over 20 years. Cloth with warm water on it took 95% or more of it off. A little Windex took the rest.

Not saying you gotta use either of these formulations....just that a good and well-maintained coating will help out a LOT with this sort of thing.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Plexus works great but it is costly....A spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water works wonders and is cheap..As said on earlier posts, solution of Hydrogen/peroxide and water also works fine.....If all else fails wet a towel with water and let it soak on the shield and fairing area for a while then wipe clean....

Quote Originally Posted by Heracleitus View Post
    I do the same. And I carry a can of Pledge in my saddle bag. Every "tupperware" bike I've ever owned has gotten the Pledge treatment. Most bugs don't stick at all and I normally only have to use the hot towel on the windshield.
    Yea, nothing like the smell of lemons early in the morning,
    I use it if I'm hauling a scoot any distance in an open trailer. Spray with Pledge then just wipe own before delivery, works great.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I try to get most of the bugs off by soaking, prior to washing. If there are some stubborn ones left, I use Honda spray cleaner/polish. Works great. Also use it to clean the windshield, in between washings. I keep a can and old t-shirt in the saddle bag and at least a can or two in the garage.
    USN Retired
    IBA # 37743
    2013 F6B Deluxe "Big Red"
    2015 F6B Blue (Hers)
    Cage - 2006 SLK 280
    Previous Rides: 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2006 VTX 1300R,1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, countless dirt bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like Bugslide. Smells good and works great.

Attachment 17523

Value Accessories

Rick keeps that Honda clean and polish on the shelf, it works great on everything on the motorcycle, there is nothing there you can't use it on and it leaves no residue. If the bugs have been on there a while spray it on and let it work, they come off as easy as pie and I have been using it on my stubborn matte silver finish and it works on wheels, tires, vinyl, chrome, aluminum, rubber seals and the like, nothing is beyond its cleaning ability.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraKen View Post
    I have been using hydrogen peroxide on my F6B and on my prior GL1800. Works great with no harm to shield nor paint on bike. Use primarily on shield though. Simply dissolves the protein..
    +1

Been using H2O2 for over 10 years. Cheap and it works great.

There is a product sold at Auto Zone (and other auto parts stores, online, etc) called Bugs B Gone made by SeaFoam. Notwithstanding the many other great suggestions heretofore mentioned, this is the best stuff I have found to clean bugs off the bike. It absolutely melts them off! I carry a bottle in my saddlebag for quick clean-ups after a long day of riding. Love this stuff!
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

As much liquid glass and polish that there is on mine, bugs usually wipe off pretty clean. For the b52"s, I use Honda line spray cleaner/ polish.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe