Long Trip Prep Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Trip Prep Help

Long Trip Prep Help

I've taken several long trips but none quite as long as this one, and only one of those other trips was on the B, and that was when she had fewer than 2K on the odo. I've been blessed to have taken those other trips on trouble free bikes and had no issues. Today I've got 6,009mi on the odo, the trip is an estimated 4,200mi. I had the 4,000mi service done on the bike last year (which included a new air filter) and have included pictures of my rear tire. I have my recall appointment scheduled for the 21st. Is there anything I should have them do, check, replace, flush, tires, etc. in preparation for the trip while I have it in there? I realize someone could say, "Change it all!" but I don't want to spend the $$$ if it's something that could wait until I return. I don't anticipate having any more than 6,600mi by the time I leave. How does my rear tire look, keeping in mind my odo. could be ~10,600 by trip's end. WingStuff still has the OEM's on sale, I plan to purchase a set even if I don't need to replace before I leave. Thank you very much for any input. I want to ensure another trouble-free trip and that this excellent machine is well prepared for it, and I value you knowledgeable folks' input.

For those interested, the trip itinerary is leaving Ohio the 15th of July. First destination is Mt. Rushmore, then on to a few days at Yellowstone. From there, down to Colorado Springs, CO and surrounding area (I LOVE Colorado), then a long haul back to Ohio.

Attachment 21316Attachment 21317Attachment 21318

They look pretty healthy to me yet.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Heading out on a 2,500 mile trip in 2 weeks, had my recall done a couple of weeks ago and had the clutch and front brake fluid replaced but I have 20,000 on my 6, you should be good to go on that stuff, she should be good to go. Have fun.

"Ding!" - That was easy.....

Look at your owner's manual at the 8,000 mile service and discuss those items with your bike's "care provider."
    You'll be back before the 12k service.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Good point 53. I'd forgotten about the intervals of the other maintenance items aside from the standard services like what occurs with the 4,000mi service. I'll check my manual and discuss like you suggested. I'd also like a second or third opinion from others on tire wear with 4K+ miles ahead of them....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Heading out on a 2,500 mile trip in 2 weeks, had my recall done a couple of weeks ago and had the clutch and front brake fluid replaced but I have 20,000 on my 6, you should be good to go on that stuff, she should be good to go. Have fun.
    Thanks Chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    ...I'd also like a second or third opinion from others on tire wear with 4K+ miles ahead of them....anyone?
    I religiously kept my tire pressures at 40F/41R and got 18,000 miles. At 14k they were looking like I should start shopping.....
    I don't leave rubber at stoplights, but I also don't leave rubber on the outboard edges of my tires either.....

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I religiously kept my tire pressures at 40F/41R and got 18,000 miles. At 14k they were looking like I should start shopping.....
    I don't leave rubber at stoplights, but I also don't leave rubber on the outboard edges of my tires either.....

Cheers,
    Steve
    18K out of the back tire correct? I do my best to keep mine at 40/41 as well. Thanks Steve.

shooter
    Elroy I guess I'm a little different from most. I would replace those tires before I leave. Its a shame , they still have wear on them. You have to consider the time of the year. It's summer time. Nothing is harder on tires than heat. What I got from your post was " I want a troublefree trip". Keep the old ones and puck up a spare rim later. Or call Honda if Russellville and get some new takeoff rims and tires. Already mounted and balanced. Ready for install. Have a safe trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Good point 53. I'd forgotten about the intervals of the other maintenance items aside from the standard services like what occurs with the 4,000mi service. I'll check my manual and discuss like you suggested. I'd also like a second or third opinion from others on tire wear with 4K+ miles ahead of them....anyone?
    I agree with choptop and wjduke... it looks to me like you've got plenty of skin on those tires for your trip. I'm riding in AZ, and with 40,000 miles on my '6' I've just replaced my 2nd rear tire a couple weeks ago - averaging close to 20k miles per. I can't clearly see the wear bars in your pics, but I think I'd ride your route and plan to replace when I got home.

Enjoy your ride, and be safe!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"