Almost got hit - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost got hit

I don't think it is always about visibility. Several years ago, I got hit in an intersection by an 80+ year old driver.

He thought the right-a-way was his!! He was wrong, but I still got some broken ribs and a smashed up bike.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Thinking that this time, the lack of aftermarket exhaust may have a factor this time as well. The F6B is very quiet. I have always been concerned about the lack of an exhaust note from it.

Armchair quarterbacking now....
    First of all, glad to hear that your skills and your guardian angel got you thru that event. Regarding your exhaust comment, I have to say that I really don't think that makes a difference in most cases. Inattentive drivers are oblivious to nearly everything. I have had people pull out in front of me, and/or not pull over when I am driving a firetruck with all emergency lighting on and siren/air horns activated. Some people are just clueless and shouldn't be driving.
    Lake City Honda
    Warsaw, IN

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I am pretty rattled right now... gray haired mouth breather made a right turn adjacent to my line of travel and almost creamed into my right rear. Took a huge swerving maneuver to avoid contact

Still shaking. That mother effer....
    Thank God you are OK.
    what would I do without my ridding partner.
    The older man that taught me to ride years ago made a point
    to tell me to look at every car and ask myself what is this guy or
    girl going to do to kill me. Man has that been true through the years.
    shortleg

Yep, I'm just n a better frame of mind now. Thanks for all of your comments.

Had a nice, spirited ride on my DR650 yesterday afternoon and just got back in tonight with it as well. It's a seemingly cathartically (I think that's the word) move for me to get back out on one of my bikes promptly... I still think how close I saw that car's front end right next to me in that intersection and he was not even slowing down.

Yes Dave, we are going to Russelville. Get your saddle ready... we have some serious miles to eat up two days before the event. I am thinking that we should really push all of the way to Nashville (instead of Knoxsville) so we can make next day's ride shorter and get into Russelville mid-afternoon Tuesday... so we can relax, meet and greet while the sun is still up, and get ready for Rally riding Wednesday thereafter.

I will call you in a couple of days and discuss. Or PM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

SERIOUSLY

Dave Ritsema you nailed it. What do we need tail gunners?

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    There are dozens and dozens of yard signs around my area "Look Twice - Save a Life" and similar. I have one in my yard. Not that they change behavior in isolation, but with so many, one can hope that some folks are seeing them and looking/thinking twice.

NYS DMV runs some TV commercials, too, telling drivers to look out for motorcycles.

Glad you are okay. An old cager like that just as easily could have done that to you in your car. The bottom line is, you reacted appropriately and that's the reason you never hit the ground.

In my opinion, the fact that you are on this forum talking about what happened means what you did was effective.

True confession...I've been the guilty cager more than once. I never knew what "look twice" meant- thought it was like "be careful" NO it LITERALLY means LOOK TWICE!!! It is NOW my standard routine at intersections...look left, right, left AGAIN and right AGAIN. When I realized that just because I ride, it doesn't mean I'm a better car driver, I worked on my driving awareness . I also had a bit more empathy with an occasional driver error. My rage at some asshole could be just as dangerous as some asshole!!

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    True confession...I've been the guilty cager more than once. I never knew what "look twice" meant- thought it was like "be careful" NO it LITERALLY means LOOK TWICE!!! It is NOW my standard routine at intersections...look left, right, left AGAIN and right AGAIN. When I realized that just because I ride, it doesn't mean I'm a better car driver, I worked on my driving awareness . I also had a bit more empathy with an occasional driver error. My rage at some asshole could be just as dangerous as some asshole!!
    I've been the guilty cager more than once too...that's with repetitive checks. It's amazing how quick a bike can appear in your blind spot...

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Well said. I think we all have been the guilty cager. Just a few hundred feet down from my driveway, there is a large hill that shades a portion of oncoming traffic as they pass it. Bikes practically are invisible in this short stretch during the day.

I pulled out in front of a fellow rider a couple of weeks ago...when I was on my bike! A narrow profile, single headlight bike...never saw him. I was surprised when I took a peek in my rearview mirror and there he was.

IMO, the middle of the day when it is sunny is the worst time for visibility of bikes. They just wash out in the bright light. Cloudy days make bikes stand out more ... and more comfortable to ride to boot.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I got my license in 73. I never forgot, my instructor back then told me to look that last time before moving. Am I guilty here and there, I suppose so, but today, being a rider, I always do it.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I've mentioned in other threads my opinion of deer. They are a lot dumber then most hunters are willing to admit. Even so, over the years of living in deer country they have taught me a lot about how to drive. They taught me to not just focus on the road in front of me but to watch both sides of the road (especially in intersections)! They taught me what's in front of me might not jump out of the way when I confront them head on. They taught me to ride no faster then they can run when in their back yards. But most of all, like most drivers, they have proven just how dumb they can be!

Now considering how dumb deer are, and what I still haven't learned how to handle yet from the deer, is exactly what scares me the most on the roads. What is that thing coming from behind me. After all I've never heard of a biker being trampled by a deer from behind, yet. Like a deer in the headlights I'm not sure what to do!