Anybody else just can't get comfortable? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else just can't get comfortable?

What Old Ryder said, the engine is in the way of the ideal rider interface for us larger guys. Six foot, two ten, not much gut going on here. Oh and size 13 boots. Some guys love it, but not all.
    2013 F6b Deluxe Black
    2000 Confederate Confederado
    1951 Harley Davidson Hydraglide

Old Ryder seems to have the best advice. I need to get in better shape to make the long rides more comfortable. I have the Mustang and will alternate a gel pad & beads. Best wishes on your summer rides guys.

I bought a new Ultimate Mid-Rider. Don't find it any more comfy than the stocker, maybe less. It puts me forward a bit and now I get knee pain after about 125 miles which I never experienced on this bike before. Also puts pressure on a certain part of my underside where it is quite un-comfy after 400 miles or so. By day 4 of a 1700 mile round trip (400+ miles per day), I was ready to scrap the seat. But it looks so pretty!!

The rider backrest pushes me forward even more. For me, it is a bit more comfy without it. Everyone's comfort is different.

I'll keep it as a daily seat and swap the stocker back on for the long stuff. I probably should have gone with the Ultimate Big Boy, but at 6' it didn't seem necessary.

This thread will go on forever because we are all different and no motorcycle manufacturer seems to want to acknowledge that. They sell us long distance touring machines that have no adjustability to our different sizes. I'm 5'10" and 210 lbs. and for me it's a Corbin saddle. It works for me. No risers. I can sit on it all day and still be able to walk.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    By the way, the stock seat is just fine by me. All day comfort. Don't need a backrest or highway pegs. This bike is phenomenally comfortable for me.

Guys... this one's gonna be a hard message... but the best thing you can do to make riding long distances more comfortable is to lose the gut and get your butt into shape. Hanging 30+ pounds above your beltline and coupling that with a weak core is going to make riding a lot more unpleasant.
    +1 and I might add do not carry your wallet or anything else for that matter, in your back pockets. It's not the seat I guarantee that.

I debated between the Russell Day Long and the Rick Mayer seats, both built in northern California. Both are built on the stock seat pan and both have an impeccable reputation with the Iron Butt guys. I believe the RDL is somewhat more popular. One Iron Butt guy told me that if their riders aren't on an RDL, they are on a Rick Mayer. Can't vouch for that myself. I went with the Rick Mayer because from conversations with both, it sounded like the RDL would put me a bit high for my 30 inch inseam. I also find the RM to be more attractive. Either builder will work with you individually. The Rick Mayer raised me a bit but not too much. I can still flat foot at stops. I also have the Utopia backrest which was installed for me by Rick as he built the seat. I had the Utopia and the stock passenger backrest recovered by Rick in the same material as the seat. In the end (pun intended) the result is determined by the butt. I can spend a full day in the saddle and find that I never give even a second thought to the seat or to my comfort. It's that good. I'm 72+ and comfort is important to me. I also have the Kury risers, Aero pegs, and for the best $10 you can ever spend, a Throttle Rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    I debated between the Russell Day Long and the Rick Mayer seats, both built in northern California. Both are built on the stock seat pan and both have an impeccable reputation with the Iron Butt guys.
    Rick Mayer custom made saddles would be my second choice if I could not get a RDL made. Rick makes a hell of a good saddle and I will sheepishly admit somewhat a tad more attractive than the RDL.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and this bike fits me like a glove. 12 hours days in the stock seat with no back or butt issues at all. Have little stretch when I stop for fuel and a bit of a walk and 15 minutes later I'm back on the road till I need fuel again. Installed a 15" Baggershield the day I picked it up.
    Today I added the Kury mini boards but prior I had no issues with the pegs, shifter or rear brake.
    I have never had a bike that fit me so perfectly.

Beagle

The only thing I have to add is there is two different kinds of bike pain. One is position one is butt pain. Now for me the positioning is perfect. I'm 6'1" and 230-240 lbs. Now my derrière on the other hand was beating me up pretty good. It was the seams in my pants and my drawers. For a bit I swore the seat was causing my some sort of new pressure points. I finally figured out it was the damn seams. I switched to LD Comfort under shorts and a set of riding pants with no seams under my butt. I will tell you those two items made a world of difference. I did a 450 miler last week with no rear end pain issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I know of three other F6B board members who now ride and love their Russell Daylong saddles and I suppose there are a few more out there. Also quite a few VTX owners on my forum ride a Daylong. If I'm going more then a 100 miles I will ride no other.

I to have some physical issues like some of you old guys(I'm 65). I broke my neck in 2002 an have bone grafts and a titanium X brace holding it all together at the c4/c5 then in 2005 I had my chest crushed (lost conformity) and left shoulder ripped apart causing nerve damage(can't lift left arm more than chest high now) in a "no brakes" 750 foot ride off a 45 degree slope, then over a cliff. I had the 14 ton piece of equipment I was operating roll over on me causing the issues, so you see I demand and must have comfort when I ride and a custom fitted Daylong fills the bill. You can read all about the accident with a few pic here http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591

I have a Daylong on my F6B, VTX1800 "C", 2004 Rune and having one made for my 2009 KLR 650 this winter. I do not run one on my turbo X as I only ride it 100 miles or less a day, but boy is it a fast 100 miles.
    +1 I just got my RDL last week. What a difference!! I rode 74k on an Ultimate on my VTX1800C but I like the RDL mucho better.
    '73 Honda XL250
    '02 Honda 1800 VTX C
    '14 Honda F6B Deluxe