Hope I didn't make a mistake buying F6B - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hope I didn't make a mistake buying F6B

I do not intend to get into any paint issues/debates on the F6B as I had mine custom painted at pick-up because my wife and I did not like the Honda red or the black...But, after viewing many posts on this "so-called paint problem", and not wanting to do the best with what you have, just SELL the damn thing and stop complaining about something that upsets you all the time...Paint your bike or live with it and enjoy the greatness of this fine bike....Honda is not going to do anything about a few that complain about an issue they do not see as a problem...C'mon guys this paint issue is becoming worse than all the old oil threads!!

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

The paint issue has been a thorn to some and nothing to others.

Honda has not and obviously will not address this issue.
    We brought it to their attention in Daytona Beach … Spring 2013 and still no solution.
    Honda has obviously ignored the issue and will not admit to the fact that there might be a problem.

So ….. I HATE to say this, not trying to flame anyone ….. I would be upset also but ….
    You just have to accept it and either use the over the counter remedies or re-paint your bike.

This Flat 6 motorcycle is a great bike, it is meant to be ridden and not to be looked at as an investment or a piece of Art.
    It's a HONDA, Goldwings depreciate in value just like most Japanese motorcycles, so ride the hell out of it and enjoy the miles of smiles, and hopefully you will be able to replace 30 sets of tires on it before you get rid of it.

So for now ……lets RIDE …….

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    Well I did not read this before. But since I'm reading the forum a lot. I keep coming across paint issues. Well this is my 3 day with the bike. I'm afraid the paint is goin to be major issue in the future.

Well that sucks. I was proud I bought honda. Guess not anymore.

What r ur thoughts on paint.

I've 2013 F6B black deluxe.
    As you're finding out, you won't get sympathy here. A fanaticism is present that allows for nothing short of complete devotion. I'm surprised we haven't yet heard that soft paint is somehow superior to a proper paint job.

That being said, I find the whole issue bizarre. I thought it had to be exaggerated. How can Honda forget how to paint a vehicle properly? How many Honda vehicles have come before?

I do agree, it could be worse, but it ain't right. Honda should do a recall, but I don't see that happening. My dealer is a real mensch and is replacing a couple panels. In the mean time, I'm applying multiple coats of Liquid Glass and crossing my fingers it's as good as people are saying.

Don't get it twisted -- I'm very happy with my choice. But I bet there are other $20k motorcycles being sold that come come complete with decent paint. How do you think a primer red 6 would look? I love inside jokes like that.

I put liquid glass on mine at about two weeks. So far I have about 5 coats built up over the six months 7,000 miles I've owned her. No issues. The opposite for me. It may be the Liquid Glass, maybe not, but after my last trip, I acquired a few scuffles/light scratches. Another coat of LG with light hand buffiing and they are gone.

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcabdaddy View Post
    As you're finding out, you won't get sympathy here. A fanaticism is present that allows for nothing short of complete devotion. I'm surprised we haven't yet heard that soft paint is somehow superior to a proper paint job.

That being said, I find the whole issue bizarre. I thought it had to be exaggerated. How can Honda forget how to paint a vehicle properly? How many Honda vehicles have come before?

I do agree, it could be worse, but it ain't right. Honda should do a recall, but I don't see that happening. My dealer is a real mensch and is replacing a couple panels. In the mean time, I'm applying multiple coats of Liquid Glass and crossing my fingers it's as good as people are saying.

Don't get it twisted -- I'm very happy with my choice. But I bet there are other $20k motorcycles being sold that come come complete with decent paint. How do you think a primer red 6 would look? I love inside jokes like that.
    To me it has zero to do with fanatacism and everything to do with ride quality is more important than paint. If my #1 objective was paint I would own a new whiskey colored HD, but I choose to ride the s#!t out of my 6 and will repaint IF it ever becomes too bad to stand.

The lack of sympathy I think comes from the fact that a guy can spend $15-20k and then have a (highly sporadic) paint issue he reads about on a forum make him question it. And OP don't take that as a shot solely at you, you arent the first and wont be the last, but please ride more and worry less.

I work in the paint industry (automotive for 14 years and architectural for 5) and the paint issue some are having sounds like an off ratio catalyst issue. This could cause very soft paint for some while others could have perfect paint. I certainly feel for those that are having an issue and if it happened to me I would appreciate some sympathy rather than scorn. Unfortunately if it is an off ratio issue there will be nothing you can do about it short of replacing the panels. I definitely believe this could be a real issue with some being very bad while others are perfectly fine depending on the day and batch of paint that was used.

My F6B is my commuter and fun bike. While I take a micro fiber cloth and a little Honda detail spray and complete a super beautiful clean in 2 minutes, my Harley buddies take many hours and many tools and cleaners to achieve the same.

As the postman says:
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
    ED209 says RED is faster, you have 20 seconds to comply !

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    The paint is soft. It is a one step process. That being said I couldn't care less about it. If it starts looking like crap in 2 or 3 years I will have it repainted at that point. New color will make it feel like a whole new bike again. To me the F6B is so much more than a paint job that it never even crosses my mind.
    My perspective exactly.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
    I take a micro fiber cloth and a little Honda detail spray and complete a super beautiful clean in 2 minutes, :
    DAYUM!!! I'll have to bring mine over to your place so you can show me how it's done!!!

I'm a pretty slow learner, so it will probably take 10, maybe 14 times watching you do a 100% complete job before I'd catch on,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by toy_collector View Post
    I work in the paint industry (automotive for 14 years and architectural for 5) and the paint issue some are having sounds like an off ratio catalyst issue. This could cause very soft paint for some while others could have perfect paint. I certainly feel for those that are having an issue and if it happened to me I would appreciate some sympathy rather than scorn. Unfortunately if it is an off ratio issue there will be nothing you can do about it short of replacing the panels. I definitely believe this could be a real issue with some being very bad while others are perfectly fine depending on the day and batch of paint that was used.
    I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. That's why this forum rules, I learn something new all the time.

I believe that my bike does not have a paint problem. However, I believe that some people's rides do have bad paint. So for all of you with bad paint I feel for you. I do think that Honda should do something to make it better, especially since we all have warranty and many, myself included, have bought an extra warranty from Honda. I also note that soft paint does not take away from rideability of the bike, I think that F6B (and Goldwings in general) are simply some of the best riding bikes made today. I am sure glad I bought one and intend to keep it for several years at this point, even if I ended up painting some of it's panels over at some point.

Now, can we all just get along?