Possible prototype pic of new F6B? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Possible prototype pic of new F6B?

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    What the little guy right above said...

DCTs are used in F1, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris, and pretty much all high performance cars.
    I have a buddy who has the same scoot as I do - a CTX700. Mine is the DCT, his is manual. He raced professionally early on, and also has a few other sports bikes (uses the CTX as a commuter). He KNOWS how to shift fast, and the CTX is a really slick shifter. He weighs 140, I'm north of 300. When we race, he pulls away every single gear - until we shift. Or rather, he shifts and my DCT does its thing. I catch and pass him every time. Then he pulls ahead a bike length, we shift, and I'm in front again until he slowly inches ahead (due to a 20% weight differential).

Out-shifting a DCT is like saying you can out-brake an ABS system. MAYBE one out of 50 times you can "beat the computer" but you're gonna lose 49 times out of 50. And seriously, the freedom from NOT having to clutch and shift (especially in traffic) is a truly amazing thing. The art of riding becomes about riding, not kicking a lever... Nothing better than not clutching 100 times every block in LA city They shift faster than you can (literally 20-30 milliseconds - faster than a person can react), perfectly match throttle each time, and with two clutches - it's nearly always ready for the next shift.
    traffic!

But if you don't want a DCT - looks like Honda will offer it both ways, like they do the rest of their DCT-enabled bikes!
    I agree!
    That would be cool.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Interesting that MotoGP bikes don't use the DCT

Although, full disclosure, DCT are basically outlawed in MotoGP. So they use the seamless gearbox instead. The DCT adds quite a bit of weight over the seamless setup also. Not sure what would be better in the capable hands of Rossi, Marquez, and the like.

Bottom line is, no one here is capable of utilizing one over the other to its maximum potential. Because if anyone was, they would have a large contract with a racing organization. For the record, my old assed R1 can hang with the top A group riders without any electronic aids whatsoever. No quick shifter, no ABS, no traction control, no throttle restriction (last year of the throttle cable). Nothing. I can pass bikes with all that electronic wizardry simply by having the guts to outbrake them into turn one And I'm just a track day hack.

I prefer my manual transmission in a bike just because. And the bottom line is that we ain't racing here. Otherwise we wouldn't be riding these bikes. I wouldn't buy a bike with a DCT/automatic transmission right now because it wouldn't be as fun to ride. So there. No BS about anything. Just stating my personal opinion

I like the idea of the DCT transmission, but I wonder how would be in the twisties. How long would it take to learn new riding techniques or acclimate? Riding aggressively, I am used to keeping the engine torqued up going into corners.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I like the idea of the DCT transmission, but I wonder how would be in the twisties. How long would it take to learn new riding techniques or acclimate? Riding aggressively, I am used to keeping the engine torqued up going into corners.
    I'm on my second set of floorboards on my CTX... I ride nearly every week in the Santa Monica mountains (Yerba Buena is my favorite ride - you're lucky if you find 20 yards straight). No problem with the twisties and walking away from cruisers and keeping up with sports bikes!

DCT can be switched to "manual". Meaning you have two toggle switches - on for "shift up" and one for "shift down". You can keep it in gear as long as you like. It will happily bang off the rev limiter if you don't upshift - but it WILL automatically downshift if you start to bog the engine (down around 1500 RPM).

For monthly hauls to SF, I leave it in automatic/drive mode, and sit back and enjoy the ride and the scenery. For in-city rides (Ventura, the valley, LA/OC), I use automatic/sport mode. More aggressive with the shift timings (higher RPMs, holds longer) so it works better as you need to "scoot quick" a bit more. And for the mountains/fun time I drop it into manual and go at it, deciding when and where I want it to shift.

Best of both worlds imho

.. But am I understanding no more clutch to coast? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoKola View Post
    Correct, you're always "in gear". But because shifts are super-easy and fast, often I'll just upshift when I want to coast, and I'll turn at 1200-1500 RPM, right above the point of clutch disengagement.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoKola View Post
    Correct, you're always "in gear". But because shifts are super-easy and fast, often I'll just upshift when I want to coast, and I'll turn at 1200-1500 RPM, right above the point of clutch disengagement.
    This gives me cause for pause as well.
    In MSF, we teach "square the handlebars and to pull in the clutch and coast" when coming upon chance slick road surfaces, like ice or algae - the idea being to keep the bike straight and the rear tire unloaded.

I guess we'll be doing a bit of a curriculum change as DCTs become more popular.
    Need to get the powers-that-be & the coaches going on this - thanks.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    In MSF, we teach "square the handlebars and to pull in the clutch and coast" when coming upon chance slick road surfaces, like ice or algae - the idea being to keep the bike straight and the rear tire unloaded.

I guess we'll be doing a bit of a curriculum change as DCTs become more popular.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    FWIW, the lead MSF/motorcycle instructor in the Ventura County area rides an NC700X with DCT. He loves it, and provided good tips. Square the handlebars and just stay off the gas - that's what is important. Pulling the clutch does the same. It's like when you drive a car on ice - don't hit the accelerator. As long as you do not input more power, you're OK - and with a DCT, when you let off the gas, you get some engine braking going as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

Cheers,
    Steve
    New slogan,
    If it's slick as glass,keep your hand off the gas. And don't tempt fate, keep your handlebars straight.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

FWIW, the lead MSF/motorcycle instructor in the Ventura County area rides an NC700X with DCT. He loves it, and provided good tips. Square the handlebars and just stay off the gas - that's what is important. Pulling the clutch does the same. It's like when you drive a car on ice - don't hit the accelerator. As long as you do not input more power, you're OK - and with a DCT, when you let off the gas, you get some engine braking going as well.
    I do NOT want any engine braking nor acceleration.
    This is where I have the conflict and maybe it's just the best it can be.
    "VERY Steady throttle" could be a new mantra.

Yes the DCT concept has been around for awhile, it is not formally incorporated yet into the curriculum.
    Only a function of time before the "clutch" formally goes the way of the Edsel.