Riding down for a new Russell Day-Long seat - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riding down for a new Russell Day-Long seat

Miles that seat rocks, not ugly at all.
    Avatar is a photograph I took July 4th 2009 of a flag and cannon located on Freeman's Farm at Saratoga National Park in Stillwater, New York. A location of a Revolutionary battle field and an American victory over the British in the Autumn of 1777. Let us give thanks to all Veterans past and present for their sacrifice.

Details

Miles can you give use some more details on the seat. It looks like you were moved 1" closer to the tank and lowered 1". Did they do anything to the passenger seat? It does look comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by KGREEN View Post
    Miles can you give use some more details on the seat. It looks like you were moved 1" closer to the tank and lowered 1". Did they do anything to the passenger seat? It does look comfortable.
    Looks can be deceiving. In reality, I was not moved forward at all, and the seating pocket was moved back about 1 inch, so when all was said and done, I was moved backward...not forward. And...the Russell seat sits me about 1.5 inches higher...not lower...than the stock OEM seat.
    We did techncial measurements, and the seat is 1.5 inches higher than the original seat, so that I am certain.

The entire key to a Russell seat is...it is internally sprung...with a spring suspension system. So it is not just a foam seat shaped to look like that. It actually has metal springs and a suspension support system to maintain the saddle affect. It allows the rider to sit on the outer gluteal area, rather than put pressure on their spinal cord.

www.day-long.com

It is a game of inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Looks can be deceiving. In reality, I was not moved forward at all, and the seating pocket was moved back about 1 inch, so when all was said and done, I was moved backward...not forward. And...the Russell seat sits me about 1.5 inches higher...not lower...than the stock OEM seat.
    We did techncial measurements, and the seat is 1.5 inches higher than the original seat, so that I am certain.

The entire key to a Russell seat is...it is internally sprung...with a spring suspension system. So it is not just a foam seat shaped to look like that. It actually has metal springs and a suspension support system to maintain the saddle affect. It allows the rider to sit on the outer gluteal area, rather than put pressure on their spinal cord.

www.day-long.com
    That is a shame on the seat height going up 1". I would not be able to touch the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MNF6B View Post
    That is a shame on the seat height going up 1". I would not be able to touch the ground.

Really ??? Well this seat can be done, and not raise it anything at all. I asked them to raise the seat from the OEM height...to a specific height, for me. In doing so, they actually cut away 100 % of the OEM foam, all the way down to the seat pan (in the riders' area), and built it up from there. They are able to do the same thing, build the Russell suspension system onto the seat, and keep it at the OEM height.

( there was a joke that went with this post, but even I deemed it to be just plain stupid)

Ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Really ??? Well this seat can be done, and not raise it anything at all. I asked them to raise the seat from the OEM height...to a specific height, for me. In doing so, they actually cut away 100 % of the OEM foam, all the way down to the seat pan (in the riders' area), and built it up from there. They are able to do the same thing, build the Russell suspension system onto the seat, and keep it at the OEM height.

( there was a joke that went with this post, but even I deemed it to be just plain stupid)
    That is good information. i will look into this solution.

The fact that you held back a stupid joke is admirable. Kinda like suppressing a fart in church.