LED Headlights - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    How difficult is the installation for the cut-out harness? And is removal of the exhaust covers required? (I'm one of the unfortunates that broke the weld on the bolts holding them on )
    Quite easy, really. Remove the seat for access to the relay box and left side cover and lower cowl for running the signal wire. As I recall, it's about a 45 minute job.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Quite easy, really. Remove the seat for access to the relay box and left side cover and lower cowl for running the signal wire. As I recall, it's about a 45 minute job.
    Thanks Ken. So removal of exhaust covers is not necessary? Thought I saw on a pdf instruction where it was...I may be mistaken though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Thanks Ken. So removal of exhaust covers is not necessary? Thought I saw on a pdf instruction where it was...I may be mistaken though.
    If you're referring to the heat shields as the exhaust covers, then, definitely not. You will need to remove the left side plastic panel which first requires opening the left saddlebag.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I am going to do the lighting upgrade as my second enhancement( belly pan first) and have a question.
    From the comments in the forum the 960's appear to be the best option.
    My goal is to see the road not so much be seen.I love night riding.....
    My lights ,low and high seem adequate but I am thinking cowl lights.
    Ok, no laughing but the question is in the cowl lights would HID's work?(well ok,you can laugh
    Second does anyone know the life span compared to stock of HID's in case I did put them in as low beams(or anywhere else)

Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post
    I am going to do the lighting upgrade as my second enhancement( belly pan first) and have a question.
    From the comments in the forum the 960's appear to be the best option.
    My goal is to see the road not so much be seen.I love night riding.....
    My lights ,low and high seem adequate but I am thinking cowl lights.
    Ok, no laughing but the question is in the cowl lights would HID's work?(well ok,you can laugh
    Second does anyone know the life span compared to stock of HID's in case I did put them in as low beams(or anywhere else)
    First, the 960's will definitely get you seen, if that's your objective. They also will light up the road directly in front. Some argue that driving lights mounted up higher will do a better job further out and even better illuminate objects in the road like potholes, for example. That said, lower cowl lights work fine IMHO and are the easiest to install.

If you are thinking of installing extra HID driving lights, I would look into mounting those higher and not in the lower cowl. Going that direction seems unnecessary to me because, believe me, those 960 LED's really put out the light and I seriously doubt HID's, in that location, would do any better.

Finally, replacing your stock halogen low beam bulbs with HID will at least double your light down-the-road, use less power (35W vs 55W), and, should last longer than halogen bulbs. HID life will probably be in the 3000 hour range, maybe 3 times the life of halogen bulbs. Of course, LED bulbs can go 10 times that in life. I'm currently working on an LED headlight conversion and will be reporting soon on that outcome. What I've ordered looks promising but it's far too early to say this is definitely the way to go.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I did a full write up on that...do a search and it will save you some time...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Steve and Hornblower, Thanx for the tips gentlemen. I did a ride in the middle of the night in the Colorado canyons and mountain roads and asked myself a thousand times "what was that" Did I really see something?
    ' It was the end of a thousand /24 run. So my main objective is to see !
    Of course I like the cowl lights anyway ,but that experience convinced me to move functional lighting a lot closer to the top of my list of mods.
    Appreciate it ! I'll check the url as I finish this message.