More finish problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More finish problems

IamBatmanF6B
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I see it as a design flaw...drill a hole in the bottom for water to drain out...
    Yep. Agreed 100%

Because an unfinished hole won't rust?

The hole needs to be drilled before its chromed.

And before the ends get all rusted. Maybe I'll try to drill a hole and dab some high heat paint on the edges with the replacements.

Obviously if the bike was a couple of years older i wouldn't care, but it should not do this out of the box.

IamBatmanF6B
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Because an unfinished hole won't rust?

The hole needs to be drilled before its chromed.

And before the ends get all rusted. Maybe I'll try to drill a hole and dab some high heat paint on the edges with the replacements.

Obviously if the bike was a couple of years older i wouldn't care, but it should not do this out of the box.
    Agreed 100% on your point. I am not happy with the paint finish. Also agree with the hole needing to be drilled before chroming. It doesn't sound like Honda is really addressing any of these issue. Hopefully 2014 models will have a better finish and the exhaust will have a drain hole to drain off the moisture.

Honda is going to replace them under the 45 day cosmetic warranty.

The dealer can't get the bike in until next Thursday to do the install, but that's fine.

At first he wanted to have the bike in the shop before they would order the parts.

I was willing to give him a card number to cover the cost of the tips rather than let my bike be held as a hostage for a week. They went ahead and just ordered them.

Well once the new arrive you better take them right back off, take them to a good plating company and have them chromed properly. PERSONALLY I like the colored chrome powder coating and would look into that over winter.

ps... rust within 6 months doesn't fall within cosmetic, it falls within "materials and workmanship" and therefore is covered for the entirety of the warranty. I know this because I had a similar issue with a Victory end cap.

pss... some fellas are ceramic coating their pipes on the BMW's, here is a link: http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/premium-colors/

I have chrome powder coat. It doesn't look like chrome.

Honda has typically had very, very good chrome.

I can buy a lot of tips for what it would cost to re-chrome them.

Gumby, I ain't talking about the cheap azz do it yourself chrome powder coating. Nope talkin the good send it off to the pro's stuff that DOES look like chrome and comes in a VARIETY of different colors. Look into it or don't, your bike, your choice.

As to the "I can buy a lot of tips for what it would cost to re-chrome them" comment? Than why are you posting a bitch, just go buy some more.

Now I really hate to be rude, but seems as though every discourse turns into a whining contest when folks are simply trying to be helpful. Something to ponder..........

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Gumby, I ain't talking about the cheap azz do it yourself chrome powder coating. Nope talkin the good send it off to the pro's stuff that DOES look like chrome and comes in a VARIETY of different colors. Look into it or don't, your bike, your choice.

As to the "I can buy a lot of tips for what it would cost to re-chrome them" comment? Than why are you posting a bitch, just go buy some more.

Now I really hate to be rude, but seems as though every discourse turns into a whining contest when folks are simply trying to be helpful. Something to ponder..........
    I thought you were going away. Are you just trolling now?

Very few of us, as you undoubtedly know can afford to just go drop a couple hundred dollars fixing a part that shouldn't be bad and is under warranty. I know you can. You tell us about it all the time. Your help really isn't.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Gentlemen.....

Back to the subject of the thread ....

I am a little disturbed to see rust on those tips as well. NOT what I expect from Honda. It's embarrassing to say the least Should be a warranty claim. Defective chrome or poor prep work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I thought you were going away. Are you just trolling now?

Very few of us, as you undoubtedly know can afford to just go drop a couple hundred dollars fixing a part that shouldn't be bad and is under warranty. I know you can. You tell us about it all the time. Your help really isn't.