2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

olegoat345, the reason why several of us went to Traxxion is because they install TWO shock cartridges in the front end, compared to Honda's one.

The OEM Honda front end in native form is really lacking. If you are fine with mediocrity, sure then... settle for the Honda OEM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    My '13 "B" feels great w/ the OEM shock & front end. I suppose some folks want the advantage of racing style shock & front end & don't mind paying for them. If the OEM goes south, why not get the racing stuff? Go for it.
    Having been in business my entire life. I know there's lots of businesses that run down / bad mouth the other guy's product just to make their product look like the greatest thing since sliced bread. As far as any new MC goes, I doubt if any Mfg. will put racing type / style anything on a product designed for cruising & everyday fun. 1) most folks really don't feel the need for it or want it. 2) It would run the price point up and that would chased off buyers. 3) somebodies going to come along and say they have a better trap no matter what. = Personally, I'm not ready to buy into the "bad front end" hype that's being put out only a few weeks after the bike was released. Having said that, it's a all new GW, I'm sure they will be a few bugs to work out and may be few "ah shits." The front end might be one of them, I feel it's just to soon to tell. ==== & that's my 5 cents worth.
    I have only 14,000 miles on my F6B so far after 4 years of riding, and do not find much fault with the front end on my 2013...I know many have felt the need to upgrade the suspension to make the bike handle better???...I agree with olegoat for the most part and it be will a "cold day in hell" when this old boy spends $3,000 just to make the front end handle a little more racy...... With my style of riding my bike works just fine thank you!!! Too each his own as they say and ride safe....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I have only 14,000 miles on my F6B so far after 4 years of riding, and do not find much fault with the front end on my 2013...I know many have felt the need to upgrade the suspension to make the bike handle better???...I agree with olegoat for the most part and it be will a "cold day in hell" when this old boy spends $3,000 just to make the front end handle a little more racy...... With my style of riding my bike works just fine thank you!!! Too each his own as they say and ride safe....
    For Christs sake... it's nothing about "racy" it's for better function. WTF?

And Opas... for Gawd's sake yer fricken retired. 14K on your F6B after 4 years...??? Git out of your damned rocking chair and ride. C'mon man....!

Last edited by willtill; 02-20-2018 at 08:05 PM.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    For Christs sake... it's nothing about "racy" it's for better function. WTF?

And Opas... for Gawd's sake yer fricken retired. 14K on your F6B after 4 years...??? Git out of your damned rocking chair and ride. C'mon man....!

Lol,I have no criticisms about your shock selection Willtill, but it does bring up a question I've been ponderin'. Most of the reviews I've read of the Traxxion setup mention being much tighter in the corners, and elmination of the low-speed wobble. But they do all sort of hint at a much tighter/sportier feel. I'm thinking of eventually upgrading my F6B suspension, but I'm leaning more towards Arnott Air Shock in the rear and Progressive monotubes up front, because I'm not looking for tighter or sportier at all. I'm looking for a much more plush ride. Do you have any thoughts to add about the overall comfort of your ride? I gather you're a hard nosed guy who likes to ride in what I would consider extremely cold weather, so we might have very diferent ideals here, but do you have any thoughts about the comfort level of the Traxxion setup?

Sorry for the post hi-jack. If you'd rather answer pm instead of inline, that's fine by me. Only tie-in I can think of is to say that I doubt I'd be thinking about doing this upgrade if I bought the new Wing after my test ride. It seems to do both pretty well. Just once again comes down to longevity/reliability.

Jason

More information on the front shock.

Note: The rider is sitting on the bike with his feet on the ground holding up the bike so not all of his full weight is on the bike yet.

Last edited by ths61; 02-21-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Looks like Max might have a new Traxxion shock for sale pretty soon...for the front AND the back. I'd guess by March or April......if the stock bumper lasts that long. At least it bottoms out into rubber instead of steel. Curious to see what the steering head bearing looks like when he gets around to that disassembly. Could All-Balls be next?
    Last edited by Walcrow; 02-21-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Lol,I have no criticisms about your shock selection Willtill, but it does bring up a question I've been ponderin'. Most of the reviews I've read of the Traxxion setup mention being much tighter in the corners, and elmination of the low-speed wobble. But they do all sort of hint at a much tighter/sportier feel. I'm thinking of eventually upgrading my F6B suspension, but I'm leaning more towards Arnott Air Shock in the rear and Progressive monotubes up front, because I'm not looking for tighter or sportier at all. I'm looking for a much more plush ride. Do you have any thoughts to add about the overall comfort of your ride? I gather you're a hard nosed guy who likes to ride in what I would consider extremely cold weather, so we might have very diferent ideals here, but do you have any thoughts about the comfort level of the Traxxion setup?

Sorry for the post hi-jack. If you'd rather answer pm instead of inline, that's fine by me. Only tie-in I can think of is to say that I doubt I'd be thinking about doing this upgrade if I bought the new Wing after my test ride. It seems to do both pretty well. Just once again comes down to longevity/reliability.

Jason
    Jason,

I have had the Traxxion system on 2 bikes for 2 different reasons. On my F6B, the biggest improvement was the front end. It got rid of the handlebar vibrations, wandering and holds the lines much better. You will appreciate it even if you are not an aggressive rider. A friend who used to do motocross rode my B and then got the Traxxion system for his full wing. He is a much more aggressive rider than I am and really likes the upgrade.

It also got rid of the anti-dive valve so you have an actual suspension when you need it (when you are braking). I haven't tried the Progressive system, so I can't compare the two.

If I had to do it again, I would probably try the air-system that JimmyTee put on the rear of his F6B. My wife still complains that the F6B's rear end is very harsh (both with the stock and the Traxxion rear shock). I don't think I would give up the Traxxion front end on my F6B.

On my Victory Vision, the biggest improvement was the rear shock which removed the sag and kept the bike from bottoming out. The front probably helped eliminate some sag, but I attribute most of the improvement to the rear shock on the Vision. It was very apparent by just sitting on the Vision before and after the install. Ground clearance was preserved. The front of the Vision did not have the vibration/wandering issues the F6B had.

HTH
    Last edited by ths61; 02-21-2018 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Jason,

I have had the Traxxion system on 2 bikes for 2 different reasons. On my F6B, the biggest improvement was the front end. It got rid of the handlebar vibrations, wandering and holds the lines much better. You will appreciate it even if you are not an aggressive rider. A friend who used to do motocross rode my B and then got the Traxxion system for his full wing. He is a much more aggressive rider than I am and really likes the upgrade.

It also got rid of the anti-dive valve so you have an actual suspension when you need it (when you are braking). I haven't tried the Progressive system, so I can't compare the two.

If I had to do it again, I would probably try the air-system that JimmyTee put on the rear of his F6B. My wife still complains that the F6B's rear end is very harsh (both with the stock and the Traxxion rear shock). I don't think I would give up the Traxxion front end on my F6B.

On my Victory Vision, the biggest improvement was the rear shock which removed the sag and kept the bike from bottoming out. The front probably helped eliminate the sag, but I attribute most of the improvement to the rear shock on the Vision. The front of the Vision did not have the vibration/wandering issues the F6B had.

HTH
    That's excellent info, HTH, and will indeed make me think more seriously about the Traxxion up front. Mine wanders a bit up front. The vibrations don't bother me too much, but it would be nice to have less of them. I also don't really mind the low speed wobble, save for the fact that if something like that is not engineered properly, then it can really only go one direction--worse. I'll have to also factor in cost. I'm not sure if there is a negligible difference in Traxxion vs. Monotubes with installation. That Arnott is expensive, and so is installation, and I have no experience and the equivalent confidence in wrenching on suspensions. Jimmytee seems to have done a bang up job. He installed a beautiful mod by including an inline guage next to the gas key to read the shock's air pressure. Really slick. I wish this stuff didn't cost a fortune to get worked on! I really appreciate the info.

Jason

My B is looking better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post

Jason
    That Traxxion front end is more stiff than the OEM instance. But there is no slop.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537