Looking for a new helmet. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new helmet.

I wear one most of the time but have to say in my opinion, if you have never rode along the beach (or some other nice road) on a warm summer night, helmet free to enjoy the cool breeze in your hair, you have not enjoyed motorcycle riding as much as is possible. So glad Florida is a "me decide" state.

Long ago and far away I was sent to a very warm tropical country. While there i was shot down and was wearing my SPH-4 helmet. After the fact we all were amazed at the damage done to our helmets and mine in particular. With out question, if I had not had that helmet on I would have been killed.

Today, I only buys helmets with the highest Snell/DOT ratings and then go for the best fit. After all that I look at price. After all, how much is your head worth?
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

Ask 30 people get 40 different answers = I always try to get one that's SNELL & DOT approved, for me they must be full face =
    Modular helmets will NOT pass SNELL neither will helmets w/ a drop down sun screen. =

motorcyclegear.com always has some great deals. They buy up new, last years left over stock. You can try it on, wear it around the house & they'll pay S&H to send it back, send you another one, another one until you get one you love =remember, it should never be loose. Should be snug, you should have "fish face" for a while BUT never so tight it causes hot spots or headaches. Make sure your glasses will go in. Slide it on from the rear part of your head. email Aaron with all your questions, he's great to deal with.

Go to the largest motorcycle accessory store that’s available. Test fit the helmets that you are interested in. Put them on, take them off, work the shields etc. Wear them in the store for 30 minutes. Different helmets in different sizes will not fit the same. Luckily we have Iron Pony here in Columbus. They have a huge helmet selection. You’ll see people walking around wearing helmets while shopping. Just like you would sit on a bike that you’ve never been on before to see how it feels after a half hour or so..

I have been using this one for over a year now. It's lightweight, but a good all round helmet.

ls2.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQoi2Y8S4as&t=9s
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Last I heard the helmet law here in FL. might change. They're wanting to make using a cell while driving a first offense & tacked onto that bill is the helmet law. Never heard where it went / going. A ABATE lobbyist use to have some power over MC laws. Don't know anymore. ABATE (here in FL.) is in bad shape. The "older" guys (mostly HD guys) are tired of doing it & stepping down & there's no young blood interested (mostly sport bikes). I've noticed almost all of the young riders wear helmets & full gear.
    We're in the boonies, live with in sight of rt. 450 (aka "tail of the gecko") we can hear the sport bikes coming, when they hit the straight stretch, they're running well over 100 mph passed our home. At times there's 15-20 of them, all in full riding gear. ATGATT. Makes me wish I was that age again. Well, maybe for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    I bough a Bell MAG-9 about a year ago and wore it comfortably for about 8 months. Then the mechanism for the inner drop-down shield started to fail and eventually gave up. But I have to give props to the Bell support staff for painlessly honoring their 5-year warranty on this lid. I emailed them about the problem... they sent a return label. I shipped the helmet back with a copy of the receipt... and they returned a brand new one to me within about two weeks.

I like the styling of the MAG-9... it compliments the F6B. I think it's a comfortable helmet. And the way they integrated the mounting for a Sena 10S is pretty okay.

That's my

Ride safe!

I second this, good helmet for the price. I ride this when it's cooler out or let my wife wear it to reduce wind noise. My clear visor did wear out but I'm not sure if I have the receipt. Downside is that if the clear visor is up all the way its in your line of sight. Love the sunglass feature built in also.

purchased mine off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Craig_328; 02-21-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added link to helmet
    Veteran 16 years and counting
    Think. Adapt. Anticipate.

I suggest you look at the selection on revzilla.com Many of their helmets are accompanied by videos that review their features. Fair prices, great customer service, free shipping and a very liberal return policy.

Helmet City is another good place for good prices on lids. http://helmetsales.com/index.php/catalog/

Quote Originally Posted by jbongo View Post
    I suggest you look at the selection on revzilla.com Many of their helmets are accompanied by videos that review their features. Fair prices, great customer service, free shipping and a very liberal return policy.
    Word of warning about revzilla.com ...I ordered a Bell helmet from them last year and they sent me someone's returned helmet. It was obviously worn. I did bitch about it and they refunded a 100 bucks to me (or gave me the option of sending it back for full refund/exchange). I pulled the guts out and washed it...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537