Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 25
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dlos1987 View Post
    I see that the bolts used to hold the speakers are the stock black ones. If the speakers are a perfect fit, why did you use different bolts?
    dlos.. No manufacturer's 6.5" speaker upgrade is a perfect fit. You will have to modify the basket on any speaker measuring 6.5" while trying to mount them in the front end of a Goldwing or F6b.
    The stock bolts and rubber backed screws will work until you accidentally punch the rubber nut out, as I have. I've changed speakers on my rig so many times I had to reinvent the mounts as I pushed out most of the oem mounts, hence the larger, silver screws.

If you are looking for significantly better sound; best volume and clarity, you need an amplifier upgrade. If not, a taller windshield and the JBL, JM or oem will probably do.

In my experience it's good, better, best. Oem, upgrade alone, new amp and quality loudspeakers.

Your ears will burn differently.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    I've changed speakers on my rig so many times I had to reinvent the mounts as I pushed out most of the oem mounts, hence the larger, silver screws.
    Ha ha, I feel like I'm getting there also. Happy every time I feel the screw get tight.

dlos.. No manufacturer's 6.5" speaker upgrade is a perfect fit. You will have to modify the basket on any speaker measuring 6.5" while trying to mount them in the front end of a Goldwing or F6b.
    The stock bolts and rubber backed screws will work until you accidentally punch the rubber nut out, as I have. I've changed speakers on my rig so many times I had to reinvent the mounts as I pushed out most of the oem mounts, hence the larger, silver screws.

If you are looking for significantly better sound; best volume and clarity, you need an amplifier upgrade. If not, a taller windshield and the JBL, JM or oem will probably do.

In my experience it's good, better, best. Oem, upgrade alone, new amp and quality loudspeakers.

Your ears will burn differently.

J
    What amp would you suggest replacing with the JBL speakers discussed in this forum - or did I just start a whole new topic.......

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_328 View Post
    What amp would you suggest replacing with the JBL speakers discussed in this forum - or did I just start a whole new topic.......
    This inexpensive small form factor amp has received good reviews and is 2 ohm stable. JimmyTee has been using it with good results. It has more power than what the JBL's can handle so you can't run it full tilt.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    This inexpensive small form factor amp has received good reviews and is 2 ohm stable. JimmyTee has been using it with good results. It has more power than what the JBL's can handle so you can't run it full tilt.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html
    About a year and a half and no complaints.

Well, except from my wife when I've turned it up too late and she's upstairs.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Sorry, I just answered your pm's. I've been busy.
    Amps - The NVX as described is a good micro size amp aND its CE rated, meaning it does what its rated for. I would have bought it had it not been back ordered.
    Look for something that will match the RMS value of the speakers you choose to add. A 4 ohm gives you a bit more build flexibility for adding speakers or subwoofers, later. Look also for a very low THD, total harmonic distortion value. Less than .05% or half percent.
    I use Polk amps. They cost more but pack a punch; 100+ watts RMS per channel and deliver very clean sound. $ 150 to $ 200 bucks.
    How you get your signal from the oem head to the amp is worth reading Jimmie Tees adventure.
    A really clean input signal pretty much seperates out the oem amp.

Good luck

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I did it and loving the result!

I installed the JBLs and am very happy with the result. Far from an audiofile, even I could tell the difference over the stock speakers. They seem louder, much clearer, and much, much clearer at higher volume.

Special call out to Hornblower, thanks for the excellent pictures showing where to trim them to get 'me to fit. I also followed someone's advice and did not connect the factory tweeters.

Highly recommended. Great results. Also, how many farkles are left that come in at <$100?
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    I installed the JBLs and am very happy with the result. Far from an audiofile, even I could tell the difference over the stock speakers. They seem louder, much clearer, and much, much clearer at higher volume.

Special call out to Hornblower, thanks for the excellent pictures showing where to trim them to get 'me to fit. I also followed someone's advice and did not connect the factory tweeters.

Highly recommended. Great results. Also, how many farkles are left that come in at <$100?

I will second that !!!! I actually sold my J&M's, that I bought from Wingstuff, this weekend to a lurker on here, Ron, who I hope signs up and becomes a member.

Sorry, I just answered your pm's. I've been busy.
    Amps - The NVX as described is a good micro size amp aND its CE rated, meaning it does what its rated for. I would have bought it had it not been back ordered.
    Look for something that will match the RMS value of the speakers you choose to add. A 4 ohm gives you a bit more build flexibility for adding speakers or subwoofers, later. Look also for a very low THD, total harmonic distortion value. Less than .05% or half percent.
    I use Polk amps. They cost more but pack a punch; 100+ watts RMS per channel and deliver very clean sound. $ 150 to $ 200 bucks.
    How you get your signal from the oem head to the amp is worth reading Jimmie Tees adventure.
    A really clean input signal pretty much seperates out the oem amp.

Good luck

Jim

I'll order the amp soon. First question is where is the install write-up?

Second- how do I get my volume to stay at a true 30? It seems to go to 20 and stay there at high speed. I read somewhere on here someone else experienced this same issue

I'll order the amp soon. First question is where is the install write-up?

Second- how do I get my volume to stay at a true 30? It seems to go to 20 and stay there at high speed. I read somewhere on here someone else experienced this same issue
    Here is JimmyTee's install thread sticky and some pictures of the shop manual's OEM preamp wire colors to get you started.

My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Other threads indicate the 20/30 is related to AVC being turned on. You need to turn off the AVC functionality.